Replacement of CCI propane and CO detectors?

M1010 Mike

Hi all, hoping someone will have a good answer. I have been having some issues with false alarms on our CCI propane detector. This past weekend, with the camper vented we would get an alarm every few minutes though no smell of propane is present. In the past we would get an alarm when plugging in the AC power to charge up the battery/cool the fridge before our trip and this is with the propane bottle closed and not turned on for months.

I read somewhere that these detectors have a lifespan (somewhere between 5-10 years depending on the source). Since I couldn't have the alarm going off all night, I cut one wire to disable it and kept the camper vented (roof vents, window open). While I was doing this, I happened to notice the CO detector had printed on it, Replace after 2007. Well, it's just a few years past that.

It seems that these CCI models that FWC used are no longer available new. What recommendations are there for replacements that will fit the current cutouts? These are two individual units but make a matching pair and each have their own cutout for flush mounting.

At the bottom of this picture, you can see the two units (they are brown)
PICT6101.jpg

Please help as I want to keep things safe. Thanks!!! :)

safe T alert has a combo unit that looks like it will fit in the width and will need the height cut out to 5 5/8. I think the part number is 70-742 and the phone number is 1-800-383-0269.
Just replace one and cut the wire to the other.

We are rebuilding a FWC for a customer and he had one of these.

Have a good day. Marty

Thanks for the info Marty. Actually it looks like Safe T Alert has a model that is a direct fit for the 7700 series units. I am fairly sure that's what mine is but I need to double check this weekend.

Thanks for the info Marty. Actually it looks like Safe T Alert has a model that is a direct fit for the 7700 series units. I am fairly sure that's what mine is but I need to double check this weekend.

Mike, please post what you find about that unit, as I'm in the same boat with my 04 Hawk. Thanks.

Based on what I research the Safe-T Alert series Models 35-742 are supposed to fit CCI 7700 series propane units. The STA 35-742 models are both propane and CO detectors in one unit. No one seems to make the seperate units that fit the existing CCI cutouts so I am going to do like Marty suggested and put in the STA unit and cut the wires from the other unit but leave it in place.

I did buy a black version of the 35-742 and will be installing it on Friday. I guess these units are supposed to be replaced every 5 years so I am thinking of using a plug which will allow easier replacements down the road. I'll post up pics when I get it installed.

Sure enough mine says to replace by 2010

here are my choices when looking up that model number. Quote: "I think the part number is 70-742"

70-742-WT White Combination CO/LP Alarm flush case 12 vDC 137.00
70-742-R-Kit-WT White Combination CO/LP Alarm with Solenoid Valve 260.00

or

STA-35-742BLK Safe-T-Alert 12V LP/CO Alarm RECESS MOUNT, Black 92.95
http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/product/safe-t-alert-12v-lp/co-alarm-recess-mount-black/rv-propane-and-co-alarms/281761/281761.aspx

Cummins_Mike I believe came across the black 35 series model as well and according to website seems to be a nice fit.

I think I'm going for that one as well.

One thing missing is a charge alarm that comes on the propane detector. I've been having trouble with one of my batteries and a few weeks ago while sleeping at home, I heard the alarm going off in my camper at 3AM. It was plugged into my house for the second day and sure enough the voltage was 10 point something at battery, I think it's spent. I will eventually have a battery/system monitor installed anyway so maybe I wont need that alarm after all, plus I do check my voltage at my battery leads once a week.

Okay, got it installed yesterday. Yes it does fit the CCI cutout (which was cut a little oversize and this new unit is a little smaller) but the mounting holes are about a 3/16" narrower. I was able to use one screw hole but the other one I had to put "outside" of the flange and let the head overlap it. I think I might drill 4 new holes in the corners and mount it with four small screws but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom