Replacing front dinette foot base/storage area.

bwag

Advanced Member
Seems to me the foot base/storage area in my 2020 hawk with the front dinette could have been better designed. Mine is essentially a clam shell opening from the front which you can not fully open as it stops where the table top supports are to make that area a bed. It could also be a little taller to allow for more storage. I looked at goose gear drawers but none are a true fit and they don’t do custom orders and there’s also the price $1000. Having just discovered 80/20 and seeing how lots of people have used it in van conversions for drawers / cabinets, it seems to be the best option. I’d like to build a full extension drawer 9-10” high. Anyone built their own drawer out of 80/20? Anyone removed the factory foot base/storage and used something else?

My thought was to buy a prefabricated drawer, I’m leaning towards a stainless one, and frame it with 80/20. Woodworking is not my strong suit nor do I have all the tools to build a drawer/frame out of wood. 80/20 looks more like adult Lego’s and that’s about my speed.

Also, when one gets older, time becomes more valuable than money. If you played your cards right & have something of a nest egg, you can buy to have use of something longer than if you built it.
:)
Paul

bwag,

Understood. I use 80/20 at work It is a bit bulky and expensive and frankly overkill strength wise for your application but it is rugged and straightforward to work with. Also it is not susceptible to damage from water. Good luck.

I would have preferred that storage/step to be about 2 inches taller from the standpoint of floor height while sitting at the table. I haven’t done anything about it, but if I did I’d probably just reuse the doors and make the box taller.

PaulT said:
Also, when one gets older, time becomes more valuable than money. If you played your cards right & have something of a nest egg, you can buy to have use of something longer than if you built it.
Paul
Truer words were never spoke! I have lots of tools and experience, but do not want to waste the time -- don't know how much is left. I am nearly 70, so am in the 'window' where I could, literally drop dead for no particular reason. Or I could go strong until 90 something. But I am not going to waste too much time fiddling around building things when I would rather be out doing things. Some folks get pleasure from the build -- I get pleasure from the go and use it.
Tony

ckent323 said:
bwag,

Understood. I use 80/20 at work It is a bit bulky and expensive and frankly overkill strength wise for your application but it is rugged and straightforward to work with. Also it is not susceptible to damage from water. Good luck.
Luck I’ll need! No doubt you’re right, more experienced than me, I just know my limitations and with woodworking , it’s reached pretty quick!

PaulT said:
Paul
Paul, I completely get it. I married up, wife works in wealth management, I’m 49, can retire in 4 months with a pension, I’ve maxed out a supplemental retirement from early on, kids have college accounts. Told her 2.5 years is my max, to put it lightly, I don’t enjoy what I do for a dollar. We’re comfortable, got way more than I’d ever have imagined yet I’m at a point in my life where I look at the cost of something and if I can do it relatively just as good, I’m not paying. This is an example of that. $1000 for a single drawer is just too much. Were I older, I’d consider paying for it but I’m stubborn too and I just may still build it myself. That said, every man has got to know his limitations, I know mine and when I reach that point, the wallet opens. On this, I’m not there yet.

AWG_Pics said:
Truer words were never spoke! I have lots of tools and experience, but do not want to waste the time -- don't know how much is left. I am nearly 70, so am in the 'window' where I could, literally drop dead for no particular reason. Or I could go strong until 90 something. But I am not going to waste too much time fiddling around building things when I would rather be out doing things. Some folks get pleasure from the build -- I get pleasure from the go and use it.
Tony
Time is never guaranteed, Hope you go strong to 90!

bwag said:
I would have preferred that storage/step to be about 2 inches taller from the standpoint of floor height while sitting at the table. I haven’t done anything about it, but if I did I’d probably just reuse the doors and make the box taller.
It’s pretty rare that I sit at the dinette, usually just my girls. In stock form it’s 4 inches high, I’m going for 9” high full extension slide out drawer. If I get it sorted out, I may build another to go to the right of my sink and possibly one more inside the cabinet on the passenger side closest to the camper door.

Back
Top Bottom