Replacing Ice Box with 2 Way Fridge

Helimedic

Hi all!

I recently purchase a 2003 Eagle model for my Tacoma. One of my first mods is to get rid of the ice box and install a 2 way fridge. My question to you all is...

Who makes the most install friendly version? As in, what will come closest to just sliding in without major modification?

Im sorry if this is a frequently asked question... I promise Ive been searching and reading for a while!

Thanks!

I recently removed the ice box from my Hawk and put a 45L Norcold portable compressor fridge in the same spot. It sticks out a bit more than the ice box, but it's still within the foot print of the lower cabinet. I also removed the framework and drawer surrounding the ice box to open the space up and help with airflow behind the fridge.

One thing to consider, if you plan to add a front opening fridge you'll need to add vents in the camper wall behind the fridge for airflow. There have been recent discussions on this topic that will give you ideas on what you can do. Good luck.

I have the Dometic CR1080 in mine, and yes it sucks down the power.
I'm wondering if the Isotherm CR85 is going to be a big enough reason to upgrade to pull out my CR1080 and sell it. Tech specs show 380w/day avg. for the Isotherm. My Dometic comes close to double that.
Anyone have one of the new Isotherm fridges out there who can comment?

I have the dometic 65l and it slid right in with zero modification. Didn't work well and used a ton of power until I vented it correctly and used some computer fans. Now it works great. You might check truck fridge If your considering a cooler style fridge. They gave us a group buy in but it expired end of last month but they might still honer it. I got a 45l shipped to my house for 411.00

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies!

I have a Dometic fridge in my other camper, and holy hell does it suck a battery down in no time. I will be sure to avoid them. I'll check out the Norcolds and Isotherms.

I have been running a Dometic 65L for 5 years now and other than likely needing to do the fan mod and perhaps giving it a freon charge, it has been fine. When I installed it, I already had the upper and lower grates for ventilation of the previous 3-way so I wrapped the unit in Reflectix insulation and left the coil and fan area exposed for cooling and servicing. I also stuffed insulation in every nook and cranny in the cavity it sits in so overall the fridge is super insulated.

Sure, I could drop 1-2AH off the power draw by going to an Isotherm but in the long run I see it as being much cheaper just to add another 100W panel and save my self the labor and aggravation of pulling everything apart, buying a new fridge and selling the one I have now which clearly works.

I'd be curious to know how much it is actually drawing but all I know is that I have gobs of solar as it is and full batteries quite often.

I have seen 4-6 amp draw from my Dometic 65. It has upper and lower vent panels too. I'm going to add a fan and see if that helps and I just added another 100w panel so hopefully I won't need to lug around my generator anymore. In high temp/high humidity days it seems to run constantly - I keep it pretty full and have the thermostat set so the temp stays around 40F.

I have upper and lower vents with my Dometic 80. I hear a fan come on when the fridge is running, but of course that's the built-in fan on the fridge, right? I didn't have FWC add the fridge fan option. I think I'll add more insulation around the fridge and maybe add another fan. Is there a thread someone can point me to for the custom fan install?
I have 100w solar on the roof, and a portable 100w that I pull out in summer camping- it gets me by, but it would be nice to lower the Ah draw from the fridge since I know the fridge is the biggest draw in the camper.

Here is the thread for the fan install:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12352-fridge-fan-photos/

I have seen some great reports from boating types who use the Isotherm but I would love to see what us off roadies find in actual use too, seems to draw half the power using the same Danfoss compressor. I know the freezer section on the Isotherm units are smaller and are rated for a higher minimum temp, that might have a bit to do with it. The Isotherm 65L specs say 2.5-2.7A while the Dometic 65L is 3.3A so the actual real world power draw numbers would be pretty interesting.

I recently pulled off my magnetic door seal and bolstered the outer lip from behind with a bit of self stick foam and then put electrical tape along all the contact area on the fridge it self for a better seal, it seems to have helped.

I bet if one were really inclined, you could hack the Isotherm Smart Energy Control to a Dometic unit for greater efficiency since it uses the same BD35F compressor. Danfoss also makes a "HD" variation of the the BD35F that is supposed to handle more extreme vibration, would probably last longer for off road applications.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

After taking measurements and researching all of my available options in that size range, Ive narrowed it down a bit. Im looking at the Isotherm Cruise 65 vs. the Engel SR48.

Both of these models will come close to just sliding in to my factory cut out... which I like.

The Isotherm is better in most regards; its larger, has the reputable Danfoss compressor, and is utilized as OEM in a lot of applications. The Engel on the other hand advertises itself as being a "Self Venting Cabinet". Does this mean that I won't have to cut vent holes in the side of my camper? It simply vents to the interior? If thats the case, that is a very attractive option.

The Engel has a pretty good reputation, but I have also read about noise/ vibration issues with the "Swing" compressor. Can anyone verify these claims?

Sorry for all the questions... it seems like they need to be asked though... I haven't been able to find a lot of these answers. Thanks for all the help!

@ Helimedic
I have one of the top opening Engels. The swing compressor does make a little noise and vibration, but I have not found it to be a problem. I did notice that it makes much less noise, if the sides and handles are not touching anything.

TrapperMike said:
@ Helimedic
I have one of the top opening Engels. The swing compressor does make a little noise and vibration, but I have not found it to be a problem. I did notice that it makes much less noise, if the sides and handles are not touching anything.
Awesome. Thanks for the first hand review.... even if it does make my decision harder, ha!

Back
Top Bottom