Replacing plywood on an old Granby

CO1022Kamper

I have a very old FWC Granby where some of the plywood on the shell needs to be replaced. I am looking for any guidance or recommendations on how plywood should be replaced on sidewalls, floor, etc.

I have a very old FWC Granby where some of the plywood on the shell needs to be replaced. I am looking for any guidance or recommendations on how plywood should be replaced on sidewalls, floor, etc.

I just did all of this....Well, I'm actually turning a contained International Scout FWC unit into a slide in model for my Scout Terra pickup... Nice thing for you is that all the old pieces are still in place so you can simply measure them out and cut new ones for a direct replacement.

Replacing the wood is fairly straightforward and will be easiest if you have camper jacks. I would remove the floor and bottom sides of the tub from the top and then build a new floor and bottom sides. I used 3/4" ACX plywood on the sides and 3/4" treated plywood for the floor.
the tub.jpg

I would then remove and replace the horizontal side panels.
replacing side panels.jpg

This is the trickiest part because you lose a lot of your structure when you remove the horizontal plywood from the sides. You might want to find a way to add some rigidity. I simply secured a 2x4 across the camper to add some extra strength, but my camper didn't come with the aluminum frame in the very front so it may not have been as sturdy as yours (I added a panel there with wood).

Window Side With Tub.jpg

I would replace the overhang bed area last. Stay away from the particle board!

I used butt joints with waterproof gorilla glue. We tacked them into place with brads and then finished with screws, but you can just use screws. I drilled pilot holes... It is very strong.

Good luck - be sure to post photos and keep us posted on the progress with your new camper!

I just did all of this....Well, I'm actually turning a contained International Scout FWC unit into a slide in model for my Scout Terra pickup... Nice thing for you is that all the old pieces are still in place so you can simply measure them out and cut new ones for a direct replacement.

That looks great Backcountry. Do you have any photos of the the finished unit, Scout and all?

She's not done yet....

I did just get some original style aluminum siding and a vintage window for the front wall. I'm also planning and collecting parts to finish the interior... while the aluminum is in good shape, she was rough when I started.

I'll start a new thread about the project instead of hijacking this one, but here is a photo...

Scout Camper Drivers Side.jpg

backcountry:

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions and nice pictures. Looking forward to your post on the entire project. This type of response is very helpful to newbies like me.

Back
Top Bottom