Replacing vent with Fantastic Fan

kmacafee

Greetings

I searched but could not find anything that discussed replacing the vent FWC installs with a Fantastic Fan. The installation doesnt look difficult but can someone comment on the wiring -- specifically, where is the wiring run in these campers? There is a flourescent light not far from the vent I can tap into but wanted to check with the experts here.

Thanks in advance

Did you see the recent post on installing a fantastic fan in a Grandby? There is also a video. There should be wiring. I would suggest contacting Brenda at FWC. If you go to page 2 of the posts you will find the one on the Grandby. Good luck.

I did this last year. You can buy the kit from fwc and it comes with instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

I too did this last year. The wires were right there and they tapped into those fixtures you talked about. Pretty easy job as everything is the same size, etc. You'll have to trim the new mounting flange/ring/etc. (not sure of the right term) but it's a piece of plastic that is easy to score and cut. Probably the biggest part of the job is getting the old stuff off and cleaning everything up and caulking the new screws, etc. but it's pretty easy too.

I installed a fan in the plain vent that came with my camper. I bought a new whole vent unit, with fan, on Ebay. It was cheaper than what FWC charged and the fan I got was fancier (with a lot of speeds and a remote control). I didn't remove the vent from the roof -- FWC had it well sealed and I didn't want to mess with that -- I just installed the fan part of the unit I bought in the existing vent housing. The rest of the unit is left over, so I have a spare lid and crank.

The wires were right there, with crimp-type splices on them. The only problem I had was that FWC uses a black wire for ground and, on the Fan-Tastic, the black wire is +12V. (Hooking it up backwards didn't seem to hurt it!) I had to cut away some of the plastic housing for the wires, but not where it shows. And, I had to cut the slip-on connector off the wire to the switch that turns off the motor when the lid is closed and crimp a new one on after I put the wire through the switch hole.

A pretty easy install, all-in-all.

If your camper is not pretty new, the wires may not already be in place, which would make the installation harder. FWC now pre-wires all campers for all the options, but they haven't always done that.

- Bernard

The Fan-Tastic Vent unit I got was model 6600R. It has something like 14 speeds, which is nice, and included the 417 remote, which is hardly necessary in a small camper, but is the only way to control it. It has the standard in-off-out switch and a motorized knob for opening the lid, which can also be done manually. It also has a rain sensor, which will turn off the fan and close the lid if it senses moisture (Not sure I would trust this over my bed when I'm out hiking). It has a thermostatic mode, or can just be set to a speed. Operation with the remote is not particularly intuitive, but works fine once you figure it out. I'm glad I got this multi-speed fan, instead of the standard 3-speed, because the gentle lower speeds are good, and quiet, over the bed.

The one I bought was new, but I don't think they make this model any more. Things are ever-changing on Ebay, but these are still available for a little over $200. You might be better off to get the latest model.

- Bernard

KMac,
You are Definately pre wired for a fan in a 2012.. You are also framed and pre wired for a forward vent/fan as well.. In line with the stock one, over the forward bed.. You can feel the aluminum cross frames up there.. I recently put two fans in my '01 hawk. The forward being a new hole in the camper.. Couldn't be happier! One sucking, and one blowing..... Lots of air moving! I found a pair of the three speed model on eBay for $130 a piece..

TT

Greetings. I'm a bit late to this party... Just a tid bit from my time with the RV fans...
If you've not already purchased the FF for your project you might benefit from researching the MaxxFans. I swapped out our FF with a MF 5100k because it has a built in all-weather hood (~80" of annual rainfall where we are in Oregon). They are the same price and size as the FF as far as installation goes. I have a post with pics of my swap out.
Whatever route you go, best wishes on the project.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/thom-and-caris-parkliner-56219-17.html#post385570

Way late to this party, but if anyone else is looking to do this I just wanted to weigh in.

It's super super easy.

I elected to go for the "replace the guts of the fan" method, instead of pulling up and then resealing the new one. FWC looks to have done a much better job sealing my vents then I could.

The whole job MAYBE took an hour and all I needed was a phillips screwdriver, a pair of wire pliers, and a beer. Oh, and a 13mm (?) deep well socket.

I just pulled the lids off the old vent and the new fan to better access the screws holding the fan to the housing and the switch that kills power when the cover is down. The wiring can simply be unplugged. Then I pulled the lower housing out of the camper roof, and replaced it with the one from the fan with all the switches and such.

Plugged/screwed everything back together and I had a fan before my beer got warm.

Put all the remaining parts together and now I've got a Fantastic Vent to sell.. :)

Oh, mine's a 2016 Grandby FD FWIW.

It is only this straight forward if your old vent was the same size. My old vent was 7.5" square, with superficial braces welded into the frame.... had to cut that all out (2001 Eagle)

isonychia said:
It is only this straight forward if your old vent was the same size. My old vent was 7.5" square, with superficial braces welded into the frame.... had to cut that all out (2001 Eagle)
True.

I'm sure it's only this easy for the later models that come equipped with the Fantastic Vent assembly. Their system is very modular so you can add and subtract components at will. Combined with FWC basically pre-wiring everything it went really smoothly for me.

So far I'm not regretting the decision to order a model with lots of basic things missing. The installs on the fridge, battery and isolator, and fan have been really easy.

Did yours have pre-existing wiring, or did you have to run 12v to your fan?

Back
Top Bottom