Researching used

JohnF

Advanced Member
I am currently researching the used popup market. Have been for about 2 weeks now and have a couple of questions. I want to mobilize my ice fishing experience as cabins and hotels have stuck me to lakes with bad ice and lakes with good ice have sometimes failed to have cabin or hotels. I have a 1999 F250 4x4 crewcab that I went ahead and had the camper package included when I bought it. I am experienced with the RV (and every other kind of camping) lifestyle and currently own a 5th wheel. I have never owned a slide in camper. I will keep the 5th wheel for the times when we "live at the lake". Oh yeah, I have a boat I pull around too. When we have taken the 5ver crosscountry I absolutely loved that we could pull over near anywhere for lunch/nap/sleep/get the kids out of our hair.

Ok, so cold camping, freedom and mobility while traveling, pulling the boat to the lake for short solo trips -> slide in popup. (or... [in a wimper] the tent)

From my reading of the FWC fitment guide, my 99 F250 has a 3 inch taller cab. I have seen pics of platforms, setting campers on foam, etc to mitigate this, but, what is the important dimension? I grabbed a tape and visited with a friendly owner of an older popup camper and measured his as 45 inches from bottom to overhang. I am imagining that I will eventually come across that gem of a deal and need to show up properly prepaired slide my new camper in. If I bought the one above, should I have a 3 inch platform built or ??? I will not be taking out the 5th wheel hitch so I need a platform of sort anyway, but? I measured the bed to cab top but I imagine there is an allowance for twist/movement.

I see that some here bought a FWC years ago and have refurbed it, even multiple times, where would this as a plan break down? For example, you come across a late 80s grandby for $300. Assume travel is free and you will have FWC or ATC do your work. It is natural that the more that needs replacement the closer you will get to just buying a new one. Where does the idea break down? Bad sidewall? Bad sidewall and ...

I do imagine that if you have to strip to just the frame you probably should have bought a new one OR you meant it to be a personal project. (which I an not against!)

How hard is it to modify the wide pre-1990 camper to my narrow 1999 truck? Change of wood box or rework of aluminum?

And last for now, often asked and written about here and no doubt very subjective, here goes, 'cause I really want to use this in subfreezing weather: How comfortable can this be? I am not going to set the heat to 40 and use my -50 bag, that is for when I get the winter backpacking bug. 65 and keep it there. Is this the right sort of platform, what do I need to make it so, is it a new thing so old campers would need modification, yadda, yadda? Did the older campers have insulated sidewalls? Rather than a kit that I velcro all around the sidewalls I would rather see something like a quadruple insulated wall as I would just leave the arctic pac up anyways. Put some of that silvery stuff inside them like the ice fishing shantys have.

Thanks folks!

Considering your intended usage have you considered something like saunders 97' alaskan non-cabover camper that is for sale?

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4775/

Hard sides will hold heat much better than the soft sides on the FWC/ATC (in the really cold weather your going to need a large battery bank since the furnace will be running often, however a Wave type catalytic heater would work w/o the power draw if you're comfortable with using one). Also no cab over issue to deal with! If you did get one with a cabover, yeah you'd need a platform.

Narrowing down a camper requires rework to the floor pack and aluminum frame where it meets the floor.

I am currently researching the used popup market. Have been for about 2 weeks now and have a couple of questions.

:LOL:
I think more like 400 questions! I have a 98 Grandby on a 99 F250. I don't know if a pop up is the thing for you considering your use, a hardside just has to be a better winter rig, unless longer distances are involved and the advantages of a pop up come into play more. Of course you are an ice fisherman so sanity is in question :oops:

I have been using 2 1" blue foam 4x8 sheets under the camper and they work great. Nothing moves around, things stay tight, plus I have that extra insulation underneath. I have also gone wild with that shiny stuff, reflectix I think, and can stay warm with a Wave 3 heater. If the conditions you are planning a Wave 6 would be good insurance. Things that would cost to have redone, sidewalls, roof lifters, roof? lifter cost a couple hundred and a few more to have installed at FWC, someone did sidewalls, sounded pricey. Everything else, except maybe major rot, seems relatively simple. Since I don't plug in or use a generator I have 2 batteries and some solar and have reduced 12v by using the Wave heater with no fan, LED lights, and an ARB fridge. I ripped the older stuff out. Older is fine but personally if it is too wide I'd keep shopping. Heading out tomorrow on a little 3000 mile trip up and down the Rockies :)

According to Stan at FWC, the model I found (used) was originally designed for the F250/350 taller cab. In this pic you can see how much higher it is over my Ram 2500 cab. You will need the extra hight unless you build up a platform to raise the whole camper.

As for the width of the earlier ones fitting the narrower beds, unless you want to redo the complete interior, I would make sure you find a model that is the correct width.

PICT6103.jpg

Considering your intended usage have you considered something like saunders 97' alaskan non-cabover camper that is for sale?

I have read that thread more than once. It is well kept and not all that far from me. (Not like California)

I am confused by the multiquote functionality. I intended to select Barko1's thread too but ended here before given the chance. So, referencing Barko1: 400? No! 378. As I've said it a billion times, stop over exaggerating. :) Good to hear that the foam platform works, I like that idea. First two posts mention the catalytic heater. hmmm. (Yes, I do understand the issues) Does deer/elk hunting improve my sanity score any?

I am interested in a popup instead of a hardside for all of the reasons mentioned in the popup literature.

Anyway, I hadn't looked into my profile yet so I updated my location just in case folks are wondering.

According to Stan at FWC, the model I found (used) was originally designed for the F250/350 taller cab.

Oh really... Could I get you to measure bottom to overhang distance?

And if you ever decide that you just want to give that away... :)
I had to add this in edit: I looked at it again, and it just doesn't look happy; being designed for an F250 and all. :)

Oh really... Could I get you to measure bottom to overhang distance?

And if you ever decide that you just want to give that away... :)
I had to add this in edit: I looked at it again, and it just doesn't look happy; being designed for an F250 and all. :)

I have a regular height 99 Grandby . But I have sat in the higher version built for the Ford cab like Cummins Mike has in the picture. If I were you I'd hold out for the higher built version for your truck cause there's an extra 3 to 4" difference overhead and it makes quite a bit of difference if you're in the camper with the roof down. very nice...

I'll be driving through Denver Sunday.

Would have loved to check out your setup. I was at Glendo Reservoir - you'll probably be by there today.
smile.gif

If I were you I'd hold out for the higher built version for your truck ... very nice...

I already know that sounds like a great feature. I'm beginning to think I will try and find an "anything used less than $1000" unit for the next couple of years and get me one of these. Get some practical experience. And have an extra Mr Heater buddy along.
smile.gif

Thanks for the chat folks!

I'm beginning to think I will try and find an "anything used less than $1000" unit for the next couple of years and get me one of these. Get some practical experience. And have an extra Mr Heater buddy along.

That is what I was looking for when I got mine. I was willing to buy any 8' popup camper that would fit between my tailgate - any brand - as long as it was mostly complete and mostly solid. I ended up with a 1993 grandby that ended up needing another $1000 worth of stuff to make it workable - but now I'm hooked!!

I'm glad I didn't spend a ton more on mine, as I really didn't know if I'd like it or use it that much.

I have a regular height 99 Grandby . But I have sat in the higher version built for the Ford cab like Cummins Mike has in the picture. If I were you I'd hold out for the higher built version for your truck cause there's an extra 3 to 4" difference overhead and it makes quite a bit of difference if you're in the camper with the roof down. very nice...

Yes, the extra height is really nice with the top down. The wife and I can sit on the couch and we don't hit the roof. Can't cook on the stove but we could eat/nap back there should we need to.

Down side is, it's an extra 3-4" climb into the bed, which is almost too high. About the only complaint from the wife.

Back
Top Bottom