RFI - Avoiding SLC traffic and construction

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I am planning on a trip from Oregon to south Utah next month, going through Price and Hanksville, destination Bullfrog. My dilemma is how can I avoid Salt Lake City? I absolutely hate going through there, and we will be pulling a boat, which makes for double white knuckles.

I've considered taking US 50 across NV, into Delta, UT and out that way. Also considered taking I-84 east of SLC, down to Orem and out that way. There are a million different ways to get into the SLC area, but I am not sure which is the best to avoid the traffic and construction through the city.

Any recommendations?

WS

Made the same drive last August pulling a boat on the way to Bullfrog and a houseboating trip. We stayed the night in Twin Falls then hit SLC after rush hour and it wasn't bad at all, just got in the center lane and stayed there. Price was our next night and we got there early enough to do the final grocery shopping with plenty of time to relax that evening. I think we were loading the houseboat on Hobie Beach by 11:30 the following morning.

If pulling a boat, I would think Hwy 80 is a much better choice than 50. As Cayuse stated, avoid the morning and evening rush hour, take it at a reasonable pace, and you should be through the area in 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom