RFI: Bandelier Nat. Monument, NM

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Thinking about a trip to Bandelier and area. I’d appreciate any tips on other must see places to visit in that area.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever you do, go to as many New Mexican restaurants as you can while you're there. I'm from NM and I miss the incredible food there more than anything else.

GroovyDad said:
Whatever you do, go to as many New Mexican restaurants as you can while you're there. I'm from NM and I miss the incredible food there more than anything else.
We plan on it... Cayuse has me thinking about one of these to do my own SW cooking. Picked up a great cookbook on salsas and tacos from the Santa Fe Culinary folks.

1__56563.1463450655.1080.1080.jpg

I enjoyed Bandelier - somewhat like a mini Mesa Verde. It is super low key (at least in the winter when I have been there), but also pretty small, and you can walk all the trails in the Monument in a day. I am not sure it would be worth the drive from Oregon unless you were combining with other NM or 4 Corners stops. The atomic energy museum in Los Alamos is nearby and also worth a stop - a little scary, but interesting none the less.

Chaco Canyon is always a must see for me. What general route are you taking and how far south will you go?
Yes, Southwest Mexican food is incredible - the best taco's I had were from a food truck in Carlsbad NM -OMG, homemade tortillas!!
BTW - what kind of pan is that and where can you buy one?

Attachments

• foodtruck - 1.jpg
    foodtruck - 1.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 76
Ronin, we’ve got a number of sites to see, so it’s going to be worth the drive. Here’s a link to the disks.. http://www.southwestdisk.com

Rando, we will probably take I-84 as far as Twin Falls, then drop south to pick up US 50 to south of SLC, then wander to NM from there. May stop in Loa to see friends. I want to see Chaco as well.

The rangers offer walking tours of the various Chaco ruins, but due to time constraints the tours tend to be short and basic.

Some advance research on Chaco Canyon can really add to enjoyment of the site. A youtube search reveals several excellent documentaries, covering topics such as the ancient Chaco people's amazing knowledge of astronomy, and the alignment of Chaco pueblos and roads with the seasonal rising and setting of the sun, moon and planets. Also astounding is the vast scale of Chaco's outlying settlements, a vast system of roads, trade networks with ancient Mexico, and the sensitive topic of alleged cannibalism during a certain period of Chaco history.

I always visit Valles Caldera when I go to Badelier. Chaco has a lot of great hikes to more distant ruins if you want to leave the crowds behind. And if the campground is full, dry camp on the Ruby (Pig) Ranch 16 miles south--five bucks!

Great place to hang for at least a day or two. Climbing the ladders and checking out the view is a must. Los Alamos is also very interesting to spend another day. Like others have said generally the food can be pretty darn good....Sadies in Albuquerque, Sopapias with honey... worth the ride.
Abiquiu - Georgia O'Keeffe property, Lincoln National Forest, White Sands, Salt Trail, Turquoise Trail, Ruidoso, Messia (bad spell), New Mexico is one of my favorite places to visit. Enjoy!

I have had lots of Navajo and Hopi students over the years and have learned a lot from them and their nations, so i would like to put a plug in for their nations.

1. Chinle, AZ on the Navajo rez and visit Canyon de Chelly. Limited access into the canyon unless guided tour. Did a horse tour years ago, well worth it.

2. Hopi mesas, cultural center, etc.

Eat some fry bread and mutton stew.

Thanks Sage and everyone

We are also planning to cross down to NM from Oregon but later in the Fall.

We have been thru the area a few times including Bandolier....the native history and presence is awsome.

My wifes 65th birthday is reason enough to head through this area down to the Balloon Festival in Oct.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom