RFI Burney Lassen Area on 4th

John22

Good news Maiden Voyage to us 2012 Hawk, Bad news Fourth of July week, We are meeting some friends in Chester on 4th then heading out until Monday. We are totally good with National Forest boonies. Prefer water/ fishing nearby. Been to Hat Creek but trying to stay away from crowds.. well thats why I am requesting info on an internationally known site... for little known awesomness. : - ). Thank in advance for your input.

BTW: Returning member of site. Sold our 1999 4WC about 5 years ago, totally missed it. Purchased a pretty much fully loaded newer rig about 2 weeks ago. Been preparing camper and truck (2008 Silverado 1500 4 X 4 ).

Anywhere in that country could be a zoo on the fourth, especially near Hat creek. or the Pit River. In addition, boon docking could be a problem because of the heat wind and grass-pay attention to red flag warnings and if you think you have found a neat place, call the proper land manager to get the scoop. All that said, water, fishing, no/few people, try Butte Creek Prim CG (few People), it has a creek and it is on the way into Lassen NP from HW 44, so maybe camp at the cg, then drive in to Butte Lake and fish-been hearing good fishing things about that place.. Lava Beds NM is a neat place too, can try for the Medicine Lake area but will also be busy, but you might luck out there-lot's of places to play!

Try to BLM cg (Pit Power House) on the Pit River off of 299, could be busy but a nice place. Head up to my old stomping grounds, first hit Ash Creek FS CG near Aden off of 299 about 10 miles-great fly fishing-busy, head north on 139 to the Devils .Garden area on the Modoc, start at Res F ( hw 139) NW of Canby, then Res C, then north to Janes Res, then south to Alturas-lot's of water, fish and a good chance that you might find a place to dry camp either at one the res or at one of the many smaller lakes and res. scattered around that country. RED Flag Warning. Warners should be full of people, but take a trip on Fandango pass (from HW 395) to Fort Bidwell. Here is another thought-Rocky point prim CG on the North end of Eagle Lake, water, plants and wildlife seems to be coming back after all these years of drought. Fishing is okay, but a boat is a good idea-there is a good BLM cg also on the north end, but keep away from the fs CG's on the south end-will be a zoo. That is enough for now, hope you have a nice break-in, but the fourth could be interesting up there! Drop a line if you want more details.

Smoke

Holiday weekends and water are problematic. How big a body of water? I'm assuming Lake Almanor is out of the question! Not sure how the fishing is but Taylor Lake is unquestionably beautiful and may not even have any people on the 4th plus Indian Creek (below the turnoff to Taylor Lake) is great fishing if you're willing to hike down the canyon and brave the rattlesnakes. Antelope Lake is mostly locals but still going to be busy.

Mill Creek and Deer Creek have a lot of small fs campgrounds like hole in the ground that may be full or empty but worth checking out. Of course if your friends haven't been to LVNP it might be worth a visit even on the fourth.

Thank you wanderingsagebrush, Craig333 and Smokecreek! I now have some places to scope out from the comfort of an office chair and keypad... what a world we live in! It is still amazing to me. Of course there is no substitute for on the ground scouting, where most of the fun is... " honey the sign says this road is closed..." "they just do that so idiots don't go up that fire road, they don't mean us, it'le be fine... :)."

Thanks again and Happy 4th of July.

So true John22, that statement and " there is a good short cut a few miles down the road on the left-ya can't miss it!!! ", have been the bane of many a traveler! Have fun WTWing on the fourth! PS: check the above photo
gallery for pictures of some of the sites mentioned here-in.

Smoke

I second Taylor lake, above Taylorsville, as a great place to boon dock. I was there last weekend and only saw 4 other people. Gets windy in the afternoon if it is hot in the valley. Likely on the 4th. Road into lake is in good shape if you don’t mind pin striping from the brush.
Stopped in a Yellow Creek camp ground on the way to the lake and there were no campers there. Nice place in the shade. Not sure what the fish population is in the creek. Used to be good brown trout fishery.
Juniper lake above Chester is another great place if you get there on Thursday. Otherwise it will be full on the 4th. Road to Juniper is supposed to open this weekend. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom