RFI - Bypassing SLC

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I hate traveling through Salt Lake City on I- 15 and/orthe I-215 loop. I’ve even stayed in a truck stop until 2:00 AM, then scampered through to miss the crazy traffic.

Does anyone have info on UT 36 that runs south through Tooele and Vernon to get to US 6/50 and reconnect with I-15 near Santagun? The ultimate destination is Bullfrog on Lake Powell, and we know the route, but really want to avoid SLC traffic. Did I mention...

Best I've found is to roll through around mid morning on a Sunday. I have made early morning drives through that weren't too heinous.

WS,

I think Cayuse is on target, I-15 is such a main artery through Salt Lake, it’s hard to go around. I live it every day now, and I think there are some crazy butt drivers here. Very early in the morning, midday, and later evenings vary, but are good travel times. I’ve driven the back way to Tooele, and that road seems to drag on as well, because of lower speeds, albeit a better view. Good luck, and safe travels.

Poky

Hi WS
Not sure this will help, we just visited Great Basin National Park. Took Utah 21 to Utah 130- Ceader City and I15. This may be to far south for you and you would be further west of SLC. If you are east bound on 80 take Nevada 93 south in Wells, pick up 50/6 on around to GBNP. There were literally 12 vehicles on the road. It does circumvent SLC

Russ

Thanks Russ, I’ve been that way several times. I’d like to avoid the stretch between GBNP and Delta, UT if possible. I will be pulling the boat, with surge brakes on the trailer, and I’d like to miss those ups and downs going E-W.

If I can, I’d like to take I-84 out of PDX, all the way to Twin Falls, then south down to I-84

Morning

I guess there are not a lot of options, and I certainly understand surge brakes and down hill. Might be hanging at the truck stop is the way to go sir. Have fun on the lake. :)

Cayuse said:
Best I've found is to roll through around mid morning on a Sunday. I have made early morning drives through that weren't too heinous.
Apologies, I missed your and Poky’s posts last night. That’s what my friend in Loa says, too. I’m just not sure I can schedule my departure to hit either a Saturday or Sunday in SLC. Thanks!

PokyBro said:
WS,
I think Cayuse is on target, I-15 is such a main artery through Salt Lake, it’s hard to go around. I live it every day now, and I think there are some crazy butt drivers here. Very early in the morning, midday, and later evenings vary, but are good travel times. I’ve driven the back way to Tooele, and that road seems to drag on as well, because of lower speeds, albeit a better view. Good luck, and safe travels.
Poky
Poky, thanks! I may try that if I can’t hit a calm time in SLC. Alternatively, I might just head down through Nevada, go to St George, and down to Page and launch in that area. I just prefer the upper end of the lake.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Thanks Russ, I’ve been that way several times. I’d like to avoid the stretch between GBNP and Delta, UT if possible. I will be pulling the boat, with surge brakes on the trailer, and I’d like to miss those ups and downs going E-W.

If I can, I’d like to take I-84 out of PDX, all the way to Twin Falls, then south down to I-84
Was guessing there was a boat involved someplace in the trip. With surge brakes I'd keep it on the freeway, fill up in Tremonton and again in at Costco in Spanish Fork and just pick a lane and realize that it is what it is. I've pulled a few trailers through there and that seems to be the least aggravating method.

I drove through SLC a few weeks ago towing a cargo trailer. Yes, it is a mess of crazy drivers and confusing exits. Slow down, stay calm, and it will all be over in 30 minutes.

I've detoured to the east using I-40, US-40, and Highway 189 through Heber City (Ogden to Provo) to avoid SLC traffic. It takes longer but was definitely better than the hour plus of bumper to bumper traffic I experience on my last trip down I-15.

Back
Top Bottom