RFI - Hite, Utah

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
In the past few years, has anyone been to the CG/Marina area at Hite? I am thinking about a kayak trip on the upper reaches of Lake Powell, and would like to avoid the craziness of Bullfrog and Hall's Crossing if possible. Google earth shows a track from the high and dry launch ramp down to the water. I haven't contacted the NPS yet, but will give them a note, too.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edit: Another reason to visit Lake Powell. This is our friend Marie Austin with a string of striped bass that she picked up in the morning. We would go out and get 4 or 5 like this almost every day. It fed our entire crew.

28609743673_8f5fb58030_c.jpg

firsttracksonline.com has an article about kayaking in the area. Go to the forums and search for Hite.

Check out Blue Notch canyon, just south of Hite. Nice rugged drive that takes you to the lake, you can camp right at the lake. Shows a campground there but that was long ago, no campground. Ron

One of the few (only?) advantages to Lake Powell being so low may be access to some rapids not runnable since the 1960s. When I floated from Moab to Hite in 1994, the lake was at normal pool and the current stopped around 30 miles up-canyon from Hite. The outfitters' MO was to bring two outboard-powered skiffs up from Hite and they'd lash the oar-rafts together and push them to Hite, about a 5 hour push. The guides all commented on the fine rapids the lake had flooded.

I identified Hite from an airliner a couple of years ago and it looked like there may be current that far downriver now. I'll be interested to know what you find.

Foy

I have acquaintances who ran up to the White Crossing bridge two years ago, and they did report some current, but didn't beach and go up to Hite.

nikonron said:
Check out Blue Notch canyon, just south of Hite. Nice rugged drive that takes you to the lake, you can camp right at the lake. Shows a campground there but that was long ago, no campground. Ron
Thanks! I have not been that far up in previous trips. The Stan Jones map makes it look like a decent way to access the water.

On another forum, I was told about another site, across the river from Hite, where the rafters take out. It's between Hite and the bridge. Looks like easy access.

Cayuse said:
Blue Notch Rd. will take you down to Good Hope Bay. Check with the folks on Waynes Words for information on the fishing.
We've done quite nicely on stripers over the years. Most fun is waiting for the boils as they chase thread fin shad into the shallows. Canyons like Oak and Forgotten (and many others) are places where we have been successful. Filleted, dusted with a batter mix and just a tiny bit of creole seasoning, then dropped into a hot skillet. It doesn't get much better.

I wanted to share some information I received from friends in Utah. They live in Loa, and launch at Bullfrog frequently.

"Steve,

Hite has a good concrete ramp that is now out of the water at the present lake level. There are a couple of spots you can launch a small boat from off of the dirt. Some boats have been launched in the past weeks. No problem with a kayak. Parking is good, just park anywhere you can drive to. The current should not be a problem. There is lake there now, the river is upstream a ways. Hite is closest to the best fishing and used extensively by fishermen if the lake level allows.

The road ( if you can call it a road ) into the Blue Notch is tricky, narrow and if it rains, you might be there for a good long time. It comes to the lake at Red Canyon. Poor parking and camping in my opinion. Hite or Farleys Canyon are better bets."

Water level is reported at 3615 now.

Sounds like a great trip Steve, good way to access the river w/o outfitters. b e interesting to see how far up the dirty devil can get also. I'll try to swing that way in oct and take a look.
May have to bring a kayak down in march and give it a go. Keep us apprised.I'll do the same

Allan, I just want by today, traveling from Goblin Valley to Cortez. Looks like you can go up the Dirty Devil, but not sure how far. My impression is that Hite might be a safer place to leave a vehicle.

Please do keep me posted on what you find.

Hey Steve and Sage:
We passed thru a week or two ago after the v.o.g. rally. There were a dozen trucks and boat trailers parked just west of the dirty devil, in a big boat launch parking lot. Looked like a fine place to leave a rig to us.
Cant compare it to hite, as we didnt bother to drive down there. From the lookout across the river from hite, we didn't see any parked rigs or activity, Looked like a long way down to the water.
The dirty devil had less water in it than the fremont did up at hanksville! Not a whole lot of water, but also not much discernible current in either the d.d. or the colorado, so both looked paddle able.
Maybe next september would be a good time!?

Back
Top Bottom