Rio Chama Wild & Scenic River, NM - October 2018

Bosque Bill

Friends,

What with one thing and another, I wasn’t able to get out camping this summer. I did manage a few short trips this fall, but hadn’t had the time to process the images and write them up, as of yet.

I have now published the first of these - a very short trip up to northern New Mexico to visit the Rio Chama Wild & Scenic River. The new adventure posted on Bosque Bill's Backroads travel & camping blog:

https://bosquebill.blogspot.com/2018/11/rio-chama-wild-scenic-river-october-2018.html

Remember, click on any photo for a larger version.

Frank, Vic, and searching; thanks for taking the time to comment. I've a couple other short trips to write up as I get the time.

craig333 said:
How is the fishing? Thanks for the pics.
I don't know. Looks like there should be fish. I've been there twice and not seen anyone fishing - though that's not definitive. The river carries a fair amount of sediment - in August it was muddy looking; in October it was more a milky blue-gray - FWIW.

Looks like you should have :)

An excellent fishing stream that consistently produces trophy size brown trout. Access at El Vado lake and near Ghost Ranch. Section from El Vado Reservoir has been designated as a wild and scenic river. Fish species include brown trout, rainbow trout and kokanee salmon. A 34 mile stretch of river. Best trout fishing is within several miles of El Vado Dam.

craig333 said:
Looks like you should have :)

An excellent fishing stream that consistently produces trophy size brown trout. Access at El Vado lake and near Ghost Ranch. Section from El Vado Reservoir has been designated as a wild and scenic river. Fish species include brown trout, rainbow trout and kokanee salmon. A 34 mile stretch of river. Best trout fishing is within several miles of El Vado Dam.
I have only driven down below El Vado dam once and did see people fishing along there, just not above the reservoir.

Bill, that was fun and so nice to see your area of the West! We look forward to another trip to New Mexico for us. Thanks for allowing us to come along via your excellent trip post! :)

Back
Top Bottom