RIP BB King

BB King and Eric Clapton's "Riding with the King" will be prominently featured on the old CD player as we head for the Chesapeake Bay this afternoon.

RIP Riley B. King, of Itta Bena, MS.

B.B. King introduced many of my generation to The Blues. He became hugely popular in the late sixties when I first heard him at San Francisco's Filmore Auditorium. He later claimed that concert in 1967 was the first time he ever played before a white audience. Thanks in large part to B.B. "hippy" and college venues all over the country opened up to many great Blues musicians who were previously unknown to white audiences; James Cotton, Magic Sam, Freddie King, Albert Collins, to name a few.

He was a great musician and a great ambassador for The Blues.

As an aside John Hiatt, who wrote the title track on the Riding With the King album, is a superb songwriter and musician in his own right who is worth a little research if you haven't already heard him. .

I am a big fan of the blues being introduced to Muddy Waters and Blind Lemon Jefferson in high school by a college boyfriend. B B King was one of the liaisons to the world of blues to us white folks. You can be any color to love the blues. RIP.

We have a local blues festival which won the 2013 Keeping the Blues Alive award for best blues festival in the US. It's pretty low key but we have had some fine headliners: Johnny Winter, Leon Russell, Jeff Healey, etc. We also get international and national talent that are unknown to most: Ari Naftaly Band, Ana Popovic, Scott Holt, etc. Here is a link to the website: http://www.bakerblues.com

Get yer blues on!

Friday was a sad day. Susan and I listened to his music on Sirus XM on our way home from work and again for 3 hours sitting on the patio for dinner and well into the night.

The third album I ever purchased back in the day was a B.B. King album. I still have it. Sorry to hear the news.

Back
Top Bottom