Road trip planning: Portland, OR- Durango, Co

Durango1

So my bride, Sioux and I are heading down in our Ram 2500/Hawk to the Overland Expo for a couple of days starting May 15th. Then we're going to scoot up to Portland (over 3 days) for me to give a seminar. But THEN we've cleared two wonderful weeks (May 23 to June 6) to leisurely mozey back to Durango.

So it is a blank canvas, folks, and I'm looking for your collective wisdom. We haven't been to Yellowstone in 30 years so that is on the agenda. And while we love the red rock Utah canyon country it is close enough to Durango we already spend a lot of time there.

At 60 and (mostly) healthy we're up for most anything. But since Sioux and I are traveling solo we're not looking for super serious, isolated, "set Sioux's teeth on edge" 4-wheeling. (Even though the Ram has a winch and recovery gear so bring on the average 4-WD road as long as it doesn't rattle our fillings for days on end.)

Sioux is an obsessed bird watcher so this will have high priority. But also day hiking, nature watching (did I mention birds?), scenery and just fun and funky towns and obscure sights in general. (You know, the "road less traveled" sorta thing!) :)

We'll mostly be boondocking (really don't care for organized campgrounds) but since it is also our 40th anniversary trip I'll probably spring for a few nice B & B's. Plus of course some gourmet dining and good road food in general. (Mostly lunches since I'm not big on finding a camp in the dark.)

Any and all suggestions/ comments/ suggestions welcome and thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve, since you want to chase a few birds, I recommend Malheur NWR, south of Burns, Oregon. With the lack of snow this year, you may be able to get pretty far up Steens Mountain. Emphasis 'may'. Tons of migrants in the refuge and nearby areas. Tons of mosquitoes, too. Be prepared.

Stay at the Frenchglen Hotel. John Ross is the proprietor, and he cooks a great family style dinner as well. There is also the Diamond Hotel, in Diamond. It also has a great reputation. Both get busy during the birding season. Further south, you get the best Hamburgers for 75 miles in Fields Station. Did I mention the only hamburgers for 75 miles? Great milkshakes, too.

Lots of boondock camping on the east side of the Steens. Quite a bit on the west side as well. Do get down to the Virgin Valley free CG. A warm spring pool and shower house!! It's west of Denio, NV, on hwy 140.

Here's a trip report from the region. http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8873-oregon-and-nevada-loop/?hl=%2Bvirgin+%2Bvalley

Have fun!

I completely agree with the recommendation by Wandering Sagebrush. If you don't stay at the French Glen Hotel there is a nice campground nearby with a nice little trout stream running through it. http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/site_info.php?siteid=24

The Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Preserve in Western Montana is a fine place for birding and general wildlife viewing. http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Red_Rock_Lakes/

The last time we were there (about 15 years ago) there were two campgrounds, one more developed and one less developed. We had the less developed one to ourselves in the middle of summer. I believe it eas the Lower Lake Campground. A great place to see water birds and antelope.

The preserve is not far from West Yellowstone.

I'm envious of you!

Thanks, folks! Those are some great ideas. We'll try to hit Steens on the way up to Portland. And Red Rocks looks great. Just the sort of "off the beaten path" idea we're looking for.

Anyone have any suggestions for Washington/ Idaho or Wyoming?

Thanks again,
Steve

Steve, happy 40th and hope you and Sioux have great trip. In regards to Wyoming, if you haven't been, check out Cody, Wyoming and the museums there.

If you go to Cody stop at the Proud Cut Saloon to eat. We stopped on a recommendation. Special of the day was pot roast, and it was fantastic, also over a pound of meat on the plate.

Enjoy your trip

Bill

Haven't been there (yet), but if I were coming in to ID and west-central MT from eastern WA, I'd be looking at the Lolo Motorway for an off-highway cruise. It runs more or less parallel to US 12 from near Lolo Pass on the ID-MT border for a distance into the Lochsa/Clearwater River drainage in ID. It's aka the Northern Nez Perce Trail (where the Magruder Corridor to the south of there is aka the Southern NP Trail). The LM is best known as the route along which the Nez Perce guided Lewis and Clark westbound and starving in the autumn of 1805. Given the very knarly canyon travel streamside, the NPT runs high ground between the Lochsa and other drainages to the north.

Also in the "not yet" category is a diagonal traverse of WY from Jackson through South Pass to Douglas. Our summer trip is planned to include a long off-highway run paralleling the Wind River Range on the south, after departing Jackson. We'll pass through Atlantic City at South Pass, cross US 287, then hie off to the east ultimately reaching Douglas, where US 20's tarmac will bring us across the high plains grasslands to Fort Robinson SP, Nebraska.

Foy

Not sure how much time you want to spend or how direct a route, but maybe take the opportunity to go up through the Olympic Peninsula. Between the incredible coast line and the heavy dense forests, a little different environment than you get elsewhere. Lake Ozette Triangle is a great hike http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-ozette/

With the low snow year it might be worth checking to see if the Lolo Motorway is opened up by then as well as the Magruder Corridor. both would normally still be snowed in at that time of year but this year it be worth a call to the ranger districts to check and see.

Steve Red Rocks is a great place to bird and animal watch.We took a side trip there the first week of Sept,06.
The road is dirt and if wet the "red" mud is nasty.
The campground is very minimal and next to the lake.
Here are some photos.
Frank

Attachments

• yellowstone 9-2006 076.jpg
    yellowstone 9-2006 076.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 109
  • yellowstone 9-2006 081.jpg
    yellowstone 9-2006 081.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 122
  • yellowstone 9-2006 082.jpg
    yellowstone 9-2006 082.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 112