Road Trip Resources

Arvee

I'm planning a trip to visit family in Scottsdale, AZ in mid-March and returning in early April. Has anyone had experience using any of the following resources: boondockerswelcome.com, harvesthosts.com, freecampsites.net, frugal-rv-travel.com or Apps, such as Campendium or US Public Lands?

I'm new to the forum. In mid-November, I had the pleasure of meeting Marty in Phoenix, OR when he delivered my Ocelot. He and Jeff are very knowledgeable and helpful. I made good use of my waiting time by reading various topics in the forum. One thread in particular reminded me to buy my Golden Geezer Pass. Appreciate your help.

Peter

I liked the idea of Harvest Hosts. Spoke with them but was unable to join. They require the rigs to be self contained. We do carry a porta-potti, but they define self contained as having gray and black water tanks. Not familiar with the others.

Have used freecampsites and found some good places and only one that was not good. Best app we have used is AllStays, well worth the $9.00 it cost when we bought it.

I like using Ultimate Campgrounds. I downloaded it and referenced it into my Garmin Basecamp map on my small portable computer. I don't have to have cell service or internet to use it. At times I check Free Campsites and Campentium for reviews of places I find in Ultimate Campgrounds.

Used freecampsites, and since I am usually too far out for developed camps, use mostly common sense in the BLM areas of the desert where I explore. , and when I was using the big truck/camper, used Free and Low cost Campgrounds, a Camping America publication.

Howdy

I thought I would give this thread a bump as we plan to zip over to the mid Atlantic area for some family time and other business.....and then zip back to Oregon.

Harvest Hosts seems inviting as they include several museums and historic sights I would like to visit anyway.

Has anyone been turned away because of your truck pop up camper ?

David Graves

Having used most of the above applications and insisting on free boondocking our first "goto" is IOverlander. It is a free app and relies on community input. It is easily sortable and to some extent continues working when cell signal doesn't. Easily copies gps coordinates of selected items to local map application or elsewhere. Also when adding or checking in it grabs GPS info and allows pictures from you device then uploads when internet is availble. Very intuitive, please contribute responsibly.
Second is Boondockers Welcome as both hosts and travelers the personal exchange is nice and also free.

We are a Boondockers Welcome host in Virginia and like the opportunity to meet a variety of different people.

When we travel out West we usually stay at one or two hosts coming or going. I look at it as another arrow in our quiver as we also use most of the other places mentioned as well.

Back
Top Bottom