Rock Creek -- Sierra Eastside

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Has anyone here been up Rock Creek on the east side of the Sierra Nevada? The road takes off 395 at Toms Place.
A friend of mine recommended it as a place to check out on my trip to the area next month...said he thought there would be good aspen-turning-color.
Rock Creek Rd on Google Maps

I see that there are several campgrounds. What's the potential for dispersed camping along the road/creek? I have nothing against campgrounds, not in the off-season when they're uncrowded, but last year I found most of the eastside campgrounds were already closed by mid-October -- closed and gated.
sad.gif

Any input about the values -- camping, scenic, etc. -- of Rock Creek?
Thanks.
smile.gif

Rock Creek is a very beautiful place. Its worth the drive up there to check it out. If I recall correctly, you are not going to find any free areas to camp.

Darryl

Mark, here is a report on our trip a year or so ago:
Sierra East Side

There is no dispersed camping, several campgrounds, don't know when they close, Pine Grove Campground is the nicest from our standpoint. The road ends at a trailhead with a high mountain meadow creek. Very nice area. Call the Inyo National Forest in Bishop for info.

Thanks, guys. I'll at least drive up there. And it makes sense to call the USFS to ask them campground status.

Most of the 13 campgrounds in the Rock Creek area are now on "walk in status" and open until 10/31. Haven't stayed there in years but it is very nice. The standard warning for Rock Creek is to lock up your valuables, L A rifraf and such. However being off season it should quite and the trout still biting. Across 395 from Rock Creek beyound Tuffs campround and a bit south you can camp among the pinyon pines with fantastic views of the Sierras. Great photo ops. We are heading up Oct 8th hitting Independence Creek, Coyote Flat, possibly Rock Creek and then Bodie.

Most of the 13 campgrounds in the Rock Creek area are now on "walk in status" and open until 10/31. Haven't stayed there in years but it is very nice.

Thanks, Captm. :)
I'll just have to check with the FS about campgrounds open as I'm near the time.

Rock Creek is a wonderful hiking area, and extremely popular in the summer months. The first several miles are along the north/south oriented valley without significant vertical gain (pain) required. Views of Bear Creek Spire, Mt. Abbot, Mt. Dade and the Ruby Wall are fantastic. There are six peaks over 13,400' in the Abbot group.

There's a nice use trail at the west end of Long Lake which follows the drainage to Treasure Lakes, which would likely have good aspen color. With a TH at 10,000' and a candy store of Sierra classic peaks, it's been one of my favorite backpacking areas. :D

2009 Mt. Abbot photo gallery

I think this photo does a good job of showing all the lakes along the valley :)

My son, Kyle following me near the summit of Bear Creek Spire 2004 (has it been that long?)
106932891.jpg

The classic NE Ridge (class 4) of Bear Creek Spire 13,713'.
This route was first climbed by the sierra pioneer, Norman Clyde in May 1932.

Cool, Lighthawk!
In fact, the Bend friend who suggested Rock Creek to me was there to climb on his visit in the early 00's, that Spire I think, and maybe some else. I'll probably just limit myself to hiking...Class 3 at most.

Consider McGee Canyon (just across from lake Crowley) too. Just went backpacking there and it is supposed to be spectacular for turning aspens. Not as popular as Rock Creek. One quiet FS campground, $20/night.

Rock Creek cg has some excellent bouldering (rock climbing sans ropes with crash pads below). Well, the whole Bishop area has world-class bouldering and this is just one of many spots. As others have said, no free camping but the few times I've been there in the summer, it's been empty. Not sure why that is.

You probably could boondock at mosquito flats this time of year. Also there are plenty of spots to free camp just east of Tom's place.

Back
Top Bottom