Roll with the punches

willb122

Hey all,

Wanted to share a story here for all you FWC owners out there.

I recently bought a used FWC on a Nissan Frontier from a fellow a few hours away from me. I'm on the east coast and had been scouring the web for used ones to save some money...when opportunity came I grabbed it, a 2013 Fleet model that looked and felt brand new.

The plan was to scoop the camper, leave my job, head west for a 3 month road trip while I figure out where I want to settle down. Being an east coast born and raised 24 year old dude with nothing tying me down and some money saved up...it seemed like the time was right. I have always wanted to live out west and also live out of a car and bum around the nations rivers whitewater kayaking and fishing. After doing months of research on everything from old RVs to sprinter vans...I fell in love with the idea of an FWC. And now I finally had one!

Well, 48 hours after I got it...took it to DMV, got plates on the truck and everything was all good to go.

Then it got hit in a home depot parking lot. A guy in a Chevy Econo work van swiped the corner of the camper with his van and tore back the paneling on the back and broke off part of the aluminum frame. Jeez!

IMG_2754.jpg

Luckily he waited for me to come out of the store. We exchanged insurance info...etc

Tried to get it repaired at a local RV repair place...after a week of having it in there they concluded they wouldn't be able to do it and that Four Wheel pretty much insists on doing the repairs themselves. I was trying to avoid having to send it out to California.

It'll go out to the factory in a couple weeks from Mainline Overland near Philadelphia and will return to me hopefully soon when the repairs are done and when another load of new campers comes back. Insurance just confirmed yesterday that they're paying for everything! The folks at four wheel and mainline have been awesome too...they have been a real help with everything.

So my roadtrip plan got pushed off til spring...no big deal. At first I was worried...bummed, but life is too short for that. I'll stick around save up some more money this winter and start planning my trip. And dreaming about getting my Fleet back!

So when the road throws you a curve ball...just roll with it. It was probably meant to happen this way anyway! Here's to future adventures

willb122 said:
,..........bummed, but life is too short for that. I'll stick around save up some more money this winter and start planning my trip. And dreaming about getting my Fleet back!
Welcome to WTW. You have a good attitude that will serve you well. Best of luck with your travel and plans!

What a first post!

I carry my camper on my truck all of the time and worry about this exact thing happening.
I often park away from everyone else too, hoping to avoid this.
I'm sure one day I'll do this too - but probably with a tree.

Best of luck in getting it fixed. I am most impressed with the overall craftsmanship of FWC.
They should do a great job of putting it all together.

Keep us updated!

Welcome to the FWC family!

I'm in NC and have driven 2 transcon trips the past 5 months. So moving out there is the right call if you hear the "calling"!

Sorry to hear about the accident. But, rest assured, all the guys at the factory will have it as good as new. Be sure to talk to Stan so all the appropriate upgrades and enhancements you desire can be installed while they are doing the repairs.

Even though your camper is on the way to the factory, you should consider heading to Overland Expo - East in Asheville, NC this weekend. FWC is a title sponsor and the FWC people will be there. Of course, you're in good hands with the northeast FWC dealer.

While I have always parked in the "back 40" at all big box stores with the idea of getting exercise walking to the door, I especially do it now-a-days with my camper in the bed. Too many folks talking and textinig on cell phones or admonishing kids while driving. Operating machinery in a safe manner seems to be the last thing on most peoples mind when driving.

Might be an opportunity to drive it out to FWC in California. You could spend your time working in Sacramento until it's done.

The week BEFORE I picked up my brand, spanking, new ATC Bobcat, I was nudged on the driver's side truck bed by a LandRover backing out of a parking spot close to the exit of the lot. A guy in front of me, walking toward me in the lot, was looking behind me, said, "Oh, NO!" and then a second later I understood why he said that. If the camper was on, I would have had a similar story.

I got tapped by a lady in a parking lot. In my mind I envisioned serious camper damage. She actually just hit my tire. No damage at all to truck or camper. Can't say the same for her car. Too bad yours didn't turn out that way. Sorry for that additional wait to get out and about.

Back in the 80s when we had a hardside camper. We were tapped on the left rear camper jack.It ripped some of the screws out.
Not any real damage,mainly the screws just pulled out of the wood framing.
Learned not to leave the rear jacks down. After that I would loosen the clamp nuts and raise the whole jack above the truck bed.
Problem solved. Could have been worse.
We were at a restaurant in Needles, Ca early in the morning.Actually I had seen the driver hit the jack,but they did stop and not drive off.
Frank

Bummer dude. Stan will get you back together again. These campers can be worked on.
I'm looking forward to whether you can do the travel, or will ship the unit.

As mentioned, attitude is everything, and you will have a great trip when the time is right.
If you get out to Sacramento, quite of few of us are nearby, so give a shout.

Hey all, thanks for the replies!

Ace & ML - have definitely considered traveling out there and starting the journey on the left coast. Right now with a few other things going on with work and family...it seems to make more sense to spend the winter here and try to fire it up in March or April.

Lighthawk - definitely will do! Can't wait to meet some other FWC owners

Stan - I shot you a message

Totaled my 2008 Ram 2 days before delivery of my Hawk. I was on my way to pick up a custom made Hawk dolly someone was giving away in Portland. Pushed me back over 2 months. I had just taken my Alaskan Camper off. Realized while I was waiting that my solar hadn't been installed. They were able to do that in the meantime. Everything happens for a reason. Good luck and I hope to see you on west coast.

Bummer break. Hopefully some good comes out of it. A laid back attitude will help a lot.

I am just a little older than you and have pretty much been living out of my FWC Eagle for the last several years while bouncing between seasonal jobs. Had some amazing adventures with my eagle. Just got a full time job so my travel time just got limited and I am going to miss the long trips.

I hope you find some good adventures and a few fun misadventures.

Back
Top Bottom