Roof leak or condensation?

strotman

So after having my new Eagle parked in my driveway for the past two months, I noticed yesterday that there was some water damage due to moisture. Mostly just delaminating along the bench. When I raised the roof, I went from front to back and had a rush of water run down the passenger side rear wall. Approximately half a liter of water came from the roof.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I live in Vancouver BC and it stays fairly wet this time of year. Has anyone else had issues with condensation when their unit is stored or should I be looking for a leak?

Is this a brand new Eagle? If so, I'd start a conversation with your dealer or FWC. I've not heard of anything like this on a new camper.

Photos of the wet area and delamination would be helpful.

Are you saying the water that ran down the rear wall was from inside the camper? There is often water on the roof top that flows off when raising it. We go from rear to front when popping ours up to avoid the chance of water coming in through the open door if it's wet on top.

Yes, brand new as of Sep 2014.

I'm at work today but I'll post some photos tonight.

Yes the water ran down the inside of the camper. I've sent an email to the Canadian dealer here in BC. Hopefully this is covered by the warranty as I feel this may be a manufacture defect. I'm thinking its got something to do with the Yakima track on the right side as all the moisture and damage seems to be on one side.

Working with your dealer is the best way to handle the problem. From what I've seen/heard, this is highly unusual. Sorry that you're having problems.

To have a leak into one of the top tubes of the roof, all one needs is to have a single one of the screws holding the tracks down, to have inadequate Sikaflex installed, to provide a direct water path. The tracks themselves hold water in the center channel, and so even a slight flaw in the sealing will eventually allow water into the tube. If the tube happens to have something screwed into it from inside the camper, such as the light fixture in my case, that provides a path for the water to depart the tube.

FWC offered to repair mine and replace the light fixture, too. I wanted to try and fix it myself, so they overnighted me a tube of Sikaflex, and I resealed the one 'partly dry' screw. Problem gone. They really wanted to fix it themselves, but I preferred not to use a day to go to the factory and back, and they were willing to let me try the fix myself.

I would expect the dealer to take care of you and to correct whatever is causing the leak - That has been my experience with the factory reps.

Excellent, good to know. I'd also like the bench on that side replaced as well and the cabinet doors as they're damaged as a result of this leak. I betting that it filled the tube because it drained as soon as I lifted the roof. I've contacted the factory rep for BC so hopefully he is able to do something for me. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's seen this problem.

Strotman,

That sucks and it sounds like a leak, not condensation. I'm in NV so we typically have low humidity but we do get significant winter storms and summer thunderstorms. In 5 years I've not had a drop of water enter the camper during a storm. I hope the dealer takes care of you. Get it fixed asap so the damage does not get worse.

strotman said:
Excellent, good to know. I'd also like the bench on that side replaced as well and the cabinet doors as they're damaged as a result of this leak. I betting that it filled the tube because it drained as soon as I lifted the roof.
This sounds like a significant leak or the water sat there for a long time. I have had my counter top and front of the cabinet get soaked and stay soaked for several days without any major problem. I would definitely try to get everything around the bench and cabinet doors taken apart and carefully inspected. My experience dealing with FWC has been really positive especially when calling about random things on my 13 year old camper.

Back
Top Bottom