roof lifting helper shocks thingys

The Saints

I have seen the posts where people have added those shock things to the outside of there campers that help lift the roof. They look like they are attached to the roof and the body of the camper.
What I need is help locating the correct ones. I want one that is made to be outside in the elements and strong enough that it does most the lifting for when my wife needs it. So it needs to be able to lift what 50, 75, 100 lbs?
Help me out here. I plan on attaching one to the front and one on the rear of the camper.
Thanks, Scott

=================================
MODERATOR'S NOTE:
Below are links to a few other WTW Topics related to roof-lift-assist shocks/struts and other approaches to roof-lift-assist. Please send me (MarkBC) a message if you know of other (non-Alaskan) roof-lifting threads that could be added to this list.

I have seen the posts where people have added those shock things to the outside of there campers that help lift the roof. They look like they are attached to the roof and the body of the camper.
What I need is help locating the correct ones. I want one that is made to be outside in the elements and strong enough that it does most the lifting for when my wife needs it. So it needs to be able to lift what 50, 75, 100 lbs?
Help me out here. I plan on attaching one to the front and one on the rear of the camper.
Thanks, Scott

My lift system was installed by FWC at the factory in Woodland. It is installed on the inside of the camper. Here is a picture of the verbage printed on the side of the struts. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• lift4.JPG
    lift4.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,449
thank you, I will try to do something with this.

Here are some more pictures that might help you out. Once the roof is up, the struts can be removed with a small screwdriver in about 30 seconds (use screwdriver to depress small clip). When you are ready to lower the roof again....just clip the struts back on.

Attachments

• lift1.JPG
    lift1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 2,515
  • lift2.JPG
    lift2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,816
  • lift3.JPG
    lift3.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,470
  • Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #1).JPG
    Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #1).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,735
  • Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #2).JPG
    Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #2).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,983
  • Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #3).JPG
    Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #3).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 3,152
Leadsled9,
Thank you, that helps a lot. I was curious how they kept the struts out of the way when the top was down. With those pictures I think I may be able to make something myself. I will keep a post of my progress, although timely it may be.
Scott

I bought the parts today, so in four days I may be able to start the project.

Where did you buy the struts, cost? May add to my Hawk

Where did you buy the struts, cost? May add to my Hawk

Keep in mind....depending on how much weight you have on the roof....you can get more powerfull struts to offset the additional weight.

If you go too high however, the roof will be difficult to lower. When you have the struts properly matched to your roof weight....the roof will come down nice and slow, but will not have any problem coming all the way down.

The first post on this thread by Leadsled9 has a picture. I read the brand of shock and went to that site.
Suspa.com.
I looked at the shocks. His is rated for 40lbs. With two in the front that equals 80 lbs of lift. The next size up is rated at 60 lbs. that was too much for me.
I bought four shocks and eight brackets. Two shocks in the front, two in back. the shocks are $20.00 each. the ones rated for 60 lbs are $25.00 each.
the brackets were $2.00 each and I wasn't sure which ones would work best.
The company emailed me this morning to tell me they shipped out.
nice.
Scott

Per your original inquiry I know what you are talking about with the struts on the outside, there was a picture that went around a while back that looked intriguing. I might pursue something there one of these days but I'm swamped right now. For the gas springs on the outside I'd look into springs for the marine environment. A quick search looks like "Attwood" and "Taylor Made" are a couple companies that offer stainless gas springs for salt water environments.

after seeing the pictures of the springs on the inside, it just looks better to me. I don't need extra "stuff" on the outside of my camper. According to Leadsled9, it does not take a lot of effort to remove the struts after the top is up. In fact, I am going to try to use my springs (SAFELY!!!) without the little clips that lock them in, since I will be removing them as soon as it is erected. I'll see, and let you know.
Also, the cost is a big factor. Marine grade is very costly, when the inside can be cheaper quality with the protection of the camper.
I promise pictures and a running commentary of this project.
Scott

Also, the cost is a big factor. Marine grade is very costly, when the inside can be cheaper quality with the protection of the camper.

Just an FYI they looked like they'd run ~$45 so obviously more but not ridiculously prohibitive. Good luck on the project though.

According to Leadsled9, it does not take a lot of effort to remove the struts after the top is up.
Scott

When the roof is all the way up and locked into place front and rear.....the struts will be at their fully extended position (if the placement of the brackets was correct)....then it is just a matter of lifting the clip slightly and poping the ball out of the socket. I would leave the clips on so the struts don't come off in mid extension....and possibly hit you or cause some other kind of damage. The clips are not any problem to manipulate once the top is up.

As Pods8 mentioned earlier, Here's the picture of struts mounted outside.
I plan on doing just that. I don't want to have to bother with them inside.
Marty and the guys over at ATC are doing some research for me and
we hope to come up with something soon. BTW, these struts are cheap and
I'm not going to worry about marine SS struts...so what if they only last
3~4 years rather that 8...easy and cheap to replace.

Attachments

• al-frontovercab3.jpg
    al-frontovercab3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,595
Delta,
That does look good, and after some thought it wouldn't be that expensive to replace when necessary. Like I said, I bought two types of brackets. I may have to rethink my placement.
Thanks for confusing my mind :oops:

Thanks for confusing my mind
blink.gif

I still think the inside mounting is the best. There must be some reason that FWC went with inside mounting for the factory installed setups. Maybe you should call Stan or Chicalli at FWC and talk to them....ask them what they recommend. They have a lot of years of expertise...why not leverage it?

One great advantage of the inside mounting is the ease of accessability to the struts. Another would be protection from weather....even though they are fairly cheap to replace....why bother? Another would be esthetics....they just look funky on the outside....the outside lines of the camper are just "cleaner" without the struts.

Let's say you are going camping and have nothing on the roof. Then leave the stock struts in place and be happy. But, if you put some heavy items on the roof...it's an easy task to just pop off the lower weight struts and replace them with higher weight ones...in just a mater of seconds.

Just more food for thought. I know...just what you needed. Ha!

One great advantage of the inside mounting is the ease of accessibility to the struts. Another would be protection from weather....even though they are fairly cheap to replace....why bother? Another would be esthetics....they just look funky on the outside....the outside lines of the camper are just "cleaner" without the struts.

Just more food for thought. I know...just what you needed. Ha!

I guess the reason for different options is everyone thinks differently...

Leadsled9 thinks they look funky on the outside and I think just the opposite. Who wants look at struts and brackets inside??
"Ease of of accessibility"? If they're outside you don't need access them at all, plus you don't have to store them since they don't need to be removed. I'll mount mine outside.. :rolleyes:

More stuff to confuse you.. :oops:

Well looks don't matter to me as much as practicability, and after further thought I too am going to mount mine on the outside. That is what I wanted to do in the first place, but instead I talked myself into putting them on the outside, until Deltarat found that picture.
I had to modify my bracket mounts, easy enough. After I complete the installation, I will take the brackets off and complete them with a little touch up paint. I will take pictures.

Delta,
That does look good, and after some thought it wouldn't be that expensive to replace when necessary. Like I said, I bought two types of brackets. I may have to rethink my placement.
Thanks for confusing my mind :oops:

To add your confusion, mounting the gas shocks on the inside the way FWC mounts them will aid in raising the rear of the roof if the front is raised first. Doesn’t help as much if you raise the front section first. I don’t think mounting them on the outside front will do anything to help with the rear section as they are too far forward to add to the leverage. FWC installed the 60 pound struts on my Eagle recently and they really work slick!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom