Roof penetration(solar wiring)

takingatrip1

Advanced Member
I've done some searching and didn't find much on how you guys handled the wire run thru the roof .

I bought this one but now a little concerned about making the 90° turn into the interior of the camper . Chafing the cable over time even if protected is my primary concern.

What do you end up doing ?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1470073598733.jpg
    1470073598733.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 127
On my 2012 Hawk shell the solar plug and wires are just poked thru the roof with sealant dabbed around them....and they have not leaked.

a related inquiry....what color are the solar leads for factory FWC installed roof solar wiring and and how do they route from the front roof folding panel back to the battery ?

David Graves

One red and one black wire , the other end was coiled up in the cabinet that holds the water tank ( side dinette layout) . My camper came with an external solar plug and that was also coiled in the water tank cabinet

takingatrip1 said:
One red and one black wire , the other end was coiled up in the cabinet that holds the water tank ( side dinette layout) . My camper came with an external solar plug and that was also coiled in the water tank cabinet

Black and Red...great.....I wanted to mention that on my 2012 Hawk shell the roof wiring for solar and marker lights is schrouded and fastened to the left front of the front lift panels in such a manner that it has ample extra to raise and lower......the wires then route into the framing and, thus far, I cannot find the other end !

Note I don't yet use a solar panel and I have not run the marker lights.

Hope this is some help.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
Black and Red...great.....I wanted to mention that on my 2012 Hawk shell the roof wiring for solar and marker lights is schrouded and fastened to the left front of the front lift panels in such a manner that it has ample extra to raise and lower......the wires then route into the framing and, thus far, I cannot find the other end !

Note I don't yet use a solar panel and I have not run the marker lights.

Hope this is some help.

DavidGraves
David,

Curious, did you ever find the terminal end for your red and black solar wires? I have a 2010 eagle shell and similarly have no idea where they are located, I have looked just about everywhere.

Thanks!

Hi

I have not found mine but soon will.......just got the rig out to work on it.

The wires come down from the roof at the left of my front support panel....look under the left side little folding access panel about left wheel well and you will likely see them......there may also be a small cover panel fastened at the front lower left inside...about 2 " sq. atop the bench.

Look most wherever your battery was situated by the factory.

Mine is a Hawk shell.

Just trying to come to solar solutions.......

I REALLY want to keep from getting too complicated and heavy....but my eyes fog over after wading thru all the Web Glop Ads, Reviews, etc ad nauseum.

I would very much like to find about 150 watts of flexible ( ie unframed) panel.

DavidGraves

DavidGraves said:
Hi

I have not found mine but soon will.......just got the rig out to work on it.

The wires come down from the roof at the left of my front support panel....look under the left side little folding access panel about left wheel well and you will likely see them......there may also be a small cover panel fastened at the front lower left inside...about 2 " sq. atop the bench.

Look most wherever your battery was situated by the factory.

Mine is a Hawk shell.

Just trying to come to solar solutions.......

I REALLY want to keep from getting too complicated and heavy....but my eyes fog over after wading thru all the Web Glop Ads, Reviews, etc ad nauseum.

I would very much like to find about 150 watts of flexible ( ie unframed) panel.

DavidGraves
DavidGraves,

Happy to hear you are out to work on the camper.

We have already located the wires behind the fold up panels behind the bed and see them going into the frame, however cannot find where they terminate near the battery. Purchased the Eagle Shell 2010 used, and the model came with the roll over couch on the left side (when looking through the rear door), which turns out to be rather unusual for a FWC. There is no access panel that I can find, they must be buried behind something. Who knows.

We have done some modifications (added a new battery, outlets, wiring) to the under couch area. Before I modified, there was only a group 24 (with in line fuse), solenoid disconnect charger, ground panel, master cut off switch, and someone else had added a 12 volt outlet that I replaced.

We have spent a lot of time spilling over all the solar options out there, and ended up deciding to keep it simple and put up 2 100 watt mono panels, cheap and should be reliable. A project to be completed in the next month. Good luck with your choice of panel!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018BMGTTO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2D22KZJD14Y8Y

Howdy

That is a unique floor plan...do you have a driver side, or both side windows ?

It may serve to speak with other owners with you year model.

Have you located the two inch square cover plate ?

Of course you may not have it.....

Was there red and black at the front left edge of the front roof support ?

David

PS Thanks for the link to panels.....

Hey,

There is no driver's side window, but we do have the passenger side window. I rather like the configuration versus the couch on the other side. Able to look out the window when on the couch and also the couch does not stick into the hallway like it does when on the other side. I'm a fan, just not of whatever happened to the terminal solar cables.

Yes, there are two sets of wires running at the front left edge of the front roof support, black and yellow and also a black and red, so it seems that the solar wires are there.

In all my digging around I have not located a 2inch square cover plate, but I suppose I'll keep poking around and perhaps it will present itself at a moment of need.

Not quite sure how to post pictures here yet, but if you are curious, there is a link to a blog in our profile that we started with some photos of the configuration if you're interested. Have done mods that haven't posted on there yet, need to get it up to date.

Cheers

David,

When in doubt contact the factory. Start with Stan - at Four Wheel? stan@fourwh.com?

I have seen the roll-over couch installed on the drivers side a few times. I assume the camper batteries are installed under the cushion closest to the rear door. In our 2012 Eagle shell the aux battery is located where the propane tank sits in the regular model. The wires are behind a panel on the inside of the drivers side rear wall.

We have two solar connectors (rear wall and roof). Both pairs of wires (black and red) terminate in a loop on the side wall above and behind the battery and held onto the wall with a wire clip that is screwed in.The pairs weren't identified.

Hope this helps.

Well, after looking at one of the pictures I took and talking to Four Wheel Camper, on my 2010 Eagle Shell model with the rollover couch on the left (when looking through rear door).....

When looking at the couch, behind the couch on carpeted area, all the way in the far right back corner is a 2 inch or so square wooden block, that is where the solar terminal wires should be located, I will confirm myself but four wheel camper says that is where it is! It was staring me in the face the whole time. Here is a photo of it, from my gallery.

full

BINGO

Good for you.....look under it....you may have yet more tracing to do but you have made progress.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
BINGO

Good for you.....look under it....you may have yet more tracing to do but you have made progress.

David Graves
Thanks for the inspiration to keep looking for it! Was more obvious than I care to admit, surprised I missed it.

nevadamerica said:
Are you retrofitting or does the interior of your camper have wiring already?
Retrofitting my shell, although it came with some already there. It came with lights, fantastic fan, small battery, and truck charging solenoid disconnect. I

We are almost done with the additions, but in short, have replaced battery with 200 amp 4d from vmaxtanks, re run the charging cables to reach the new battery location, added in 3 12 volt outlets (1 dedicated to Intel B 40L fridge we bought and 1 for a weboost 4g cell booster not yet acquired, and 1 for various use and charging), 1500 watt inverter, solar charge controller, and solar for the roof on the way soon. The camper is pre wired for solar so will need to put a plug in the roof soon.

TwoPlusLu said:
Here is a photo of it, from my gallery.
Yes that's where I found my solar wires.

For the roof penetration I made a little block to run wires through. I wanted a low profile and wanted to try and minimize the bend. You can see pictures here (the black plastic thing).

Now that I'm thinking about it, I recently used some JB Weld to make my own piece of plastic for a project. You might be able to use something like that to make a smooth rounded edge (sort of like mini conduit) for where the wire passes through the roof.

I don't think you'd want to encase the wire completely or leave that stuff out in the sun, but it might fit somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom