Roof Rack Height

Does aluminum roof rack sit higher than the vent or fantastic fan?

Yes.

Meaning; stuff you have fixed to the rack won't contact the vent in its down position, but depending on what you have up there and how it's configured, you may not be able to put the vent up either.

Thanks for reply, but I should have been more specific. In regards to clearance, like backing into a garage. Does the roof rack sit higher then the vent/fantastic fan dome. According to my measurements, I should be able to back into my garage, but if roof rack sits higher than the vent/fan, I will not.

Thanks for reply, but I should have been more specific. In regards to clearance, like backing into a garage. Does the roof rack sit higher then the vent/fantastic fan dome. According to my measurements, I should be able to back into my garage, but if roof rack sits higher than the vent/fan, I will not.

I just checked my factory rack on my Bobcat. The cover of the vent is higher than the rack. So clearance into your garage should be no problem.
Frank

Thanks Frank and I would love if you gave me more details in a pm on your rear awning.

Depends which lid style you have. The flat lids are ~2" shorter than the domed ones.

That said the factory rack on my older unit is about 2" tall, don't know if that is consistent with current designs.

Thanks Pods8. Does anyone know which lid is currently being installed on new campers, domed or flat?

The vent is about 2-1/2" tall and the rack is 2" tall. We also make a 3" tall rack for those who wish to have it higher than the vent lid.

Attachments

• roof rack.jpg
    roof rack.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 137
Does aluminum roof rack sit higher than the vent or fantastic fan?

I got curious and went out and snapped a quick picture:

Factory 85 watt solar panel on left side of picture – 2 inches high

Factory Fantastic Fan cover – About 2 inches, might be 2 1/8 inches high

Factory single tube roof rack – 2 inches high

Factory double tube roof rack (pictured on the right) – 3 inches high

The double tube rack was recommended when installing solar so cargo would clear the solar panel with about 1 inch clearance when spanned front to rear. I never measured before this, but it looks like the height of the single tube roof rack and the Fantastic Fan cover are equal.

With the tires aired down and the air bags empty, my roof rack clears my 7 foot garage opening by about 1.5 inches. Not much clearance, but it’s enough to squeeze the 2008 Eagle and Tacoma into the garage.

FWCsolarventrackmeasurements.jpg

Great pics Cjin, This was exactly what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom