Roof Rack Installation

SunMan

King Taco
I mounted some roof racks on my Hawk this weekend (will provide pics later). My plan was to mount a triple rack (3 separate bars across), but at this point I have only two bars mounted.

The racks are mounted on the outside rows of screws (running front to back) using stainless #8 3/4" screws and siliconed as recommended in previous threads. The first bar is mounted up by the cabover, the next bar is right behind the roof vent towards the rear, and I would like to mount the last one as far back as possible behind that one. I searched old threads looking for the answer, I'm sure it's there but no luck. So here's the question:

How far back can I mount the last one? Is there solid frame past the last roof screw in the row that extends to the rear camper edge? Help from the experts would be appreciated.

As others have mentioned, it sure was scary drilling into my camper, but so far so good. Everything worked out as adverstised in previous posts.

sunman roof rack answers (what worked for me)

sunman if you look back through my threads and click on "short trip to sierra's you can see where i mounted my roof racks. i'm sure frame extends all the way around. i have used this set up since fwc was new have traveled Baja with hard kayak and metal rack full of gear no problems no leaks works for me. maybethis will help! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Here's a Visual

LQHIKERS,
Thanks, I remember that post, nice set up for sure, looks bombproof. It appears you are mounted into the sides rather than directly into the roof??

Here's an over head view of my set up...in the last pic note the two visible screws behind the mount, I am wondering if I can drill further back, almost to the edge?? I'm assuming the frame continues on past the last screw but would hate to be wrong!

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3,145
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,317
more roof rack chatter

sunman yes i did mount rack on edge of roof .i went this way after doing work on roof (solar panel) when you put any pressure on area such as where you have mounting points there is a lot of flex and i felt that with a load on this small of an area it would tend to cause stress which could cause breakage that you would not be able to see.i would also be leery of putting to much weight on a pure roof mounted rack. i feel that the edge mounting spreads the weight out,plus you never have a leakage problem.but this being said with usage you will be able to report back and the forum will have another idea on racks!drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

I hear ya on that, the roof is definitely soft, fortunately for me the racks aren't meant for much more than some surfboards and maybe a fuel can at the most. Just noticed on the ATC link pic above they have mounts on the inner row of screws too, not a bad idea. The rear rack on the above pic also looks to be mounted close to the rear edge. Ben/Stan?

Hey SunMan

You can mount the racks pretty close to the front or back of the roof.

Maybe measure 6" forward from the rear or 6" back from the front of the roof before screwing the roof rack in.

This should give you plenty of room before the roof frame member starts to taper down at the very edges of the roof.

Here are some sample pictures of where we put the racks here at the factory.

hope this helps ...

Attachments

• roof racks 1.JPG
    roof racks 1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,404
  • roof racks 2.JPG
    roof racks 2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 2,734
  • Boat Luggage Rack.jpg
    Boat Luggage Rack.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,831
need another roof rack cross bar

We have the factory installed rack on an Eagle. We would like to purchase a rocket box for the top. But our bars are too far apart. Would it be possible to add another bar in front of the roof vent? Does anyone know of a good rocket box for this distance of roof rack?

Thanks in advance,
Joanie

Hello Joanie

yes, you will probably have to add an additional cross bar in the middle of the camper somewhere.

I would get the rocket box first, and then mount the additional cross bar after you get the spacing requirements from the rocket box manufacturer.

Most people will attach the box with a simple "U-Bolt" type application.

Or bolts with a flat plate (see picture below)

Yakima and Thule seem to bee the leaders in the industry for products like that.

Our service dept. can get you the price on the additional cross bar if you like ...

FWC SERVICE DEPT. 800-242-1442

Hope this helps

====================================================

We have the factory installed rack on an Eagle. We would like to purchase a rocket box for the top. But our bars are too far apart. Would it be possible to add another bar in front of the roof vent? Does anyone know of a good rocket box for this distance of roof rack?

Thanks in advance,
Joanie

Attachments

• Yakima Box on rack2.JPG
    Yakima Box on rack2.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,516
  • Yakima Box on rack 4.JPG
    Yakima Box on rack 4.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,974
  • Yakima box.jpg
    Yakima box.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 4,302
  • Yakima Rocket Boxes.jpeg
    Yakima Rocket Boxes.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Yakima Box on rack 3.JPG
    Yakima Box on rack 3.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,979
Completed Installation/fuel Problem Solved!

When I started my rack project after aquiring my Hawk I envisioned some sort of storage area on the roof for fuel and/or whatever. After tossing a few ideas around I came up with this "tray" system that fits in between my two rear rack bars. The diamond plate was manufactured by a friend with a metal shop. It s 3' x 21.5", I mounted it to the rack with six stainless rope cleats for securing the load. The pics don't show it but there is about 1/4+" clearance between the tray and camper roof. Time will tell if I am able to lift the roof w/o removing the fuel cans.

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,096
  • fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 971
Hey Sunny a couple of questions,

The black fixtures that the cross bars mount to appear to be square tube that is slightly larger than the cross bars and you cut to shape for mounting that the case?

Also what size self tappers did you use up there?

I see a tandem kayak in our near future so I'm going to have to fabricate a rack for it.

Good eye Jay. Yeah, the base pieces are 1 1/2" aluminum tubing (the cross bars being 1"). They are black because they are sprayed with "Tool Dip" rubber coating. If my memory serves me correctly they are 7" long with angle cuts leaving a 3" surface on top to bolt the cross bars to. The are mounted to the camper with #8 3/4" screws. The cross bars are mounted to the bases with 1 3/4" (??) bolts and nylon washers & locknuts.

Scored all of the material at Taylor Steel here in the 'Nard for a whopping $78. A heckuva lot cheaper than the Yakima set up I was originally pricing. I've gotta give design props to Wino, one of our lurker friends here in the hood running and Eagle/Taco set up who came up with the design.

Good luck, it's a perfect set up for the kayak.

Thanks Sunny,
That is absolutey the way I'm going. I can't find anything her in Tucson like Taylor or Industrial Metal Supply. The horror of living in the provences.

Have you put anything under the diamond plate to cushion it on the camper roof.

Haven't put anything under the diamond plate. I know it looks like it's touching in the pics but there is actually over a 1/2' of clearance, even loaded with fuel or firewood it doesn't flex or touch. Those cross bends really help enforce it.

I'm pretty sure it's 1/8" (maybe 3/16"). My buddy has a shop and hooked me up with the scrap. I gave him the measurements and he made the cuts and bends. It's pretty stout stuff, i was very surprised at the lack of flex in it.

Sunman, are you happy with the spacing front to rear? I've got my pieces all cut and drilled, ready to install. Almost identical to what you have, maybe just slightly shorter cross pieces, I was worried about catching them on branches or low hanging things.

Craig,
Yes, very happy. The spacing works great for the loads I carry. The front two are spaced perfectly for surfboards and all three for my ocean kayak. The neat thing is you can configure them to meet your own specific needs.

I will confess the nice clean pipe insulation in those pics is now a bit tattered from low hanging branches, cheap enough to replace though. Not sure if a shorter bar would have mattered much.

Look forward to seeing some pics when your done!

Back
Top Bottom