roof solar plug/socket weather integrity

DonC

Does anyone do anything special to seal the solar plug connector on the roof? It seems a bit odd of a design to be so exposed. Also, is there anything to put on the plug itself before inserting to help with connectivity/sealing?

I put some dielectric grease on my plug and then taped it tight. The plug is also under my panel so shielded from the rain when parked.

Where is my 90 degree SAE plug! still looking.

I too, installed my panel is such a way that the plug is under the panel. Plus, I attached a fairing onto my front bar where the panel is secured. Perhaps this helps reduce(?) wind and debris from entering between panel and roof top.

My panels are attached to the Yakima track which don't put them high enough to be over the plug. I'll look into the dielectric grease.

Let the sun shine in.jpgI mounted mine on my Yakima racks and had plenty of room for the plug. I did surround the plug with silicon just to be on the safe side.

My plug is under my Yakima track mounted solar panel too. It's a great way to keep it out of the sun and protected.

xxwzOiRI6w1qk1RkI1HIQClSpoQmIgU36JgGIc7b91k=w717-h955-no

Bwht4x4 said:
My plug is under my Yakima track mounted solar panel too. It's a great way to keep it out of the sun and protected.

xxwzOiRI6w1qk1RkI1HIQClSpoQmIgU36JgGIc7b91k=w717-h955-no
Are those bolts going into the metal sliders that sit in the Yakima racks? Nice set up. I was just going to bolt onto the Yakima bars but this looks like the way to go.

Outnabout,

Yes those bolts go into the metal sliders in the Yakima racks. I actually ordered more of the sliders, opened the ends on the tracks and put four more of the sliders in. I actually have extra sliders in there if I need them for another bar or even another panel.

The panel is a 160 watt Grape Solar model. It will run my compressor refrig during the day and will also charge the batteries during the day to 100%. I'm running the FWC dual battery set-up. On early season hunting trips I will sit in one spot for 2-3 weeks at a time without running my truck and it's worked great so far. The only time I ever had the batteries not reach 100% during the day was on a recent winter deer hunt where the nights reached 15-17 degrees and I had to run the heater most of the night on 50 degrees. I used my portable genny to top the system off during the day. Based on my experience and usage I would not go with a panel less than 160 watts and you couldn't pay me to use a flexible panel. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a portable 100 watt panel to also bring along to add a few more amp.hours to my system for those days when it may be cloudy or for my late season hunts.

Here are a few more picts.

sdHRadgeoo7X1x4usNKiez3lmb4Hm1iKQyAr8BQeuFbMM-MGVpGqMGRXj1qnAfNAZI0EloGKP4NjaxLbAp3UReAGBL_juUUQPUEOp2lWO8gKsTVFwKJ3_sTK1_4PXYJa6XsOZinmRVn0tBJyN3adpp3KMIp-d6aWedgoVZcM1h6O4Dg0EPI9AGUBQbkDxLRngno9yg8kVLQtx_905qMX30Gl-eUfjjGu-rfI9jsi2Z5ovBJYBmRqLuu7UqHFyfevrnlEGZ7GKQuzNCaqOKoQOdvAn49qh3_Opfji5QVq_c9NlV0rDf8DZGFNgSukpWbarLg5JzdU9h_hAjVCXrjcEXmyGhK7ZKK9cwhh_p6ENKQTq2gkATaoccBL3ZSUsNkFDXaTmBLjoaCvq7mOp6QVuxGhmWnD836vTLfE8Z6KOKHlrkQVPTM5aMzTCuJGd-8phix4_jZC7tqC5BGgWNKqFIpwF2Uy46sjYsLgAOuM3PQ7ZXKKEK3KiqOvJhDv_6lk30bggERn-beZyVA-mMvtglwYI6AdO7lpqQI5GkyIj5Jo7TNRR-OEQYWG8z6QcmpdEyoj=w1274-h955-no

q5ztslpZTM3RwZYiKIvDSiwC3VbPbBKP0QSYrUvpxB4S1UrFTGzbPPtF6tAAMOT5jRm9DV-ybGp9OLuTNA2g1ctthegTjd6WO2_Ilrdp-4aqb4yJvH6op897o7RmB66qKoum33J1R9olrpxDSqu91JOkqF1taCOIr1V737a3_FuV2HJDKX0uBulKQrHr9u9Hth6bGp6MRq-mUDRwnsHzdiXqJr275uJ94CdnVLyY5-RICBp8k-ZhbaArGwPNvQ87F9ooV_fq0gS2myj64O1ZghOYosJJxdXbEpndA-BTg3SN2w9ZkSGZIIKyiATRKa8Bb6nnomao9pxps6-Q5-UjRPfqRh01T0ms_3FugexDVtbpXUnd9MpAp0pSDg5orUe3t5xPW5Y2Vnh4sSnGfirFfHiA3jj0PAZxsZjhkOiQ-dWjYhz5bAXeYwY6jl2rmiI9_tG2PBTvN1ejvebQvK9q01VJBSATdOkpIbo92eH1RKAsBUHb8QzJ95TmiZS0_qGxVbeFZmbPpEsgS9Sc5tTTv3RQV1j7wdjQct85uAklJXYdaKuCqFol-SkylaiD3ln6XOKL=w1274-h955-no

A7VDBk5LXOlW0GVVspyHvan3ZMdiWJoGgtpPUIuw1VwhK5Ah6dommoyGXEfsHG3ypbU42IxlZg1EjUjOWPM6z1IGk5MZwr1resWOTXDtIF4oT7TCAAK0KrtFlvdPzBT84XTIkssGDl4rTRbwiniNThhRuNinj9rFbsfFqn7KcCW2cpzuNu63HCxvO80ywPcEEbXYlTQQgKw4wF3nQ86skUze8V6NkAdDt7lnJilDLIR2L1q5MHD0to4RyIHz9CZBVhSyO9P4GTiAgIKUhM3a18FrO-PzhlJbzZy7aVdjhuQOTv_BZT5fb6pH-xqZkTNJG5ZB3EQJd3P2kWdvwX-NbDCnLhuoBGiQLn6prKu9jVSs95hNtJbE23CbgpPguLEACxNR8lVQwv5W3-pWrA7pqL02CzArwBSzCOeucGVIeh0CLkUq6YX512C7LZ9IMs5iLYGP05bZSTPQN-gLbZhV0d1K1BnYl_G2sTQraLl3AkzqYzYMeYRCAJ-JT44QOGRGx9A_LAMfC6n4vKFmAV4pQIJuk9ooCeWP9SakihxGeH44aHLHjq7fNaDz4Kk228u2PWbJ=w717-h955-no

When I worked at the Mandalay Beach power plant (*right* on the Pacific Ocean) we used this to wrap around any bolted connection that we wanted to easily remove in the future: Scotch 130C Self-Fusing High Voltage Splicing Tape Merely doping the joint with Anti-Seize is only good for a season or two in that environment. Note that you will have to cut this tape off, you will not unwind it!

I just added another panel (150w + 160w, both Grape Solar panels) to the roof and thought I would share the hookup regarding the solar plug. I removed the FWC installed connector and put on a NEMA waterproof enclosure. I purchased mine from here:

https://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid=220&classid=35&seriesid=38

You can also find these on Amazon by other manufacturers. The black plastic waterproof cable glands can also be found on Amazon. Its a little bit of work but I like the clean and secure look. The cable connectors are Wago connectors. Makes connecting stiff wires easier. I just snipped off the solar connectors, stripped off the insulation and plugged them in the 3 way Wago connectors. I found these in a small pack at a local electronics store but also available on Amazon but in a bigger pack:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJPA66?keywords=wago%20connectors&qid=1457032260&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

full

full

full

full

photohc,

How do you like the AMSolar Rocker Foot Mount kit? Have they worked well for you? Are you also using the tilt bars?

Paul

I really like the AMSolar Rocker Foot Mount but it's expensive for what it is. I haven't really taken advantage of the tilt and I do have the bars. I think the Renogy Z brackets will do just as well without the tilting. In either case, using the 3m VHB 4950 double stick tape and covering the attachment area with self leveling Dicor works well. My other panel has been attached for 2 years now and not any sign of movement.

Another nice feature of the bracket is that I can detach the panels or rotate them to clean underneath. I can and have removed the brackets without damage to the roof.

Harv

Harv,

That's encouraging. I just got mine. Waiting for non-typical Oregon March weather to mount the GS 160 panel. Too wet right now to try it.

Price is rather high but the ease at working on the system without opening holes in the roof was attractive. Where did you find replacement tape after removing brackets?

Paul

I've used the non foam-backed VHB tape to stick down thin stock that I needed to machine on the mill. Have to use an industrial solvent like acetone to get them loose.

I too used a NEMA IP-something rated box on the roof with the rubber bushing type cord-grips on the wire pass-thru's. Used a large terminal strip inside the box to make those connections. I left the MC4 connectors on the panel because removing them voided the warranty. Bought the longest MC4 terminated single wire that AZ Wind & Sun sells & cut it in half.

Thanks for all this guys....I'm getting ready to do a solar install on an Alaskan with an irregular roof material....

It's always nice to get reviews on alternate materials...that VHB tape looks interesting....milling with it...impressive

There is something I've come to with the aluminum skin...I now treat the skin as an inverted boat and use marine adhesives for all penetrations....3M 4200....flexible, not permanent like the 5200 and ...after suffering through silicon failures

I went to the 3M site to take a close look at the VHB tape....take a look at the videos..pretty impressive material

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Adhesives/Tapes/Brands/3M-VHB-Tape/

as someone who is going to be sealing a begillion screw penetrations on an older Alaskan rebuild....VHB tape kind of...makes me want to cry alot

Bwht4x4,
Thanks for getting back with some more pics and explanation. I didn't even know you could buy more of the sliders, that will be next on my list of things to get as I prep for my solar install. I also have the dual battery set up in my Grandby. My dad just gave me a controller so I just need to get the panel and some anchoring brackets and I'm set. Thanks again. Happy Travels.

Yeah, merely saying "VHB tape" doesn't really narrow it down much, does it? Typical 3M, all sorts of permutations of the base product available.

I did photohc's NEMA box enclosure upgrade today and its great. Gone is the exposed/awkward vertical plug. Now a nice neat watertight box.

I got a box of 50 of these and would be happy to mail a couple out to anyone that needs them - this is the least I can do for all the help I get here. This "mod" is great for those that don't have a panel over the socket, and even if you do, this creates a very nice connection without the awkward bend in the plug.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJPA66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Back
Top Bottom