Roof Solar vs Portable - Revisited

RC Pilot Jim

I believe its a good idea to report the following as each year brings a new crop of folks to camping in campers.

Review the "reason you need roof solar" Post from 2014.

History:
Many of us used portable in the early days of compressor fridges assuming the alternator would charge the battery on the way to the campground. We learned later that wasn't always so as the fridge was draining the battery while we were "sight-see', hiking or hunting. Sometimes the vehicle would sit more than 4 hours per day draining almost 11 amps from the battery.

We found out the hard way that our batteries weren't completely full when arriving at the campsite. With 10-14 hours of darkness per night depending on the time of year many of us found dead camper batteries in the morning. Starting the vehicle didn't restore the charge because "Sure Power" had disconnected the alternator from the camper battery to protect the truck battery. Alternator won't reconnect until the battery has been charged up to 12 volts. Only 110 AC or solar can do that.

The problem with portable panels is security, There is none as anyone in a public location can unplug it and walk-away with it.

The other item one needs is a battery monitor that displays input readings from all sources: 110 volt, solar, and alternator. Amps in and out. And the percentage of charge. Many of us installed the Trimetric, about $250. Well worth it.

Dr J has a lot of good info on it in his Post "Measured FWC amp Power use"

And "monitoring percentage of charge (from solar -alternator) "

Roof top Solar setup
Click on the link below my signature. Go to page 12, Review. If its not clear I will clarify. Lastly my shell build is a good resource as it has lots low cost ideas to help with your new camping.

You all have a wonderful summer of camping. See you out there.

Back
Top Bottom