Roof storage access

Eldough

Advanced Member
Wanted to see if I could get some info on how people with roof top storage access it? Recently put a yakima box on top of the FWC and having a hard time balancing on the wheel to put stuff in...especially if it's heavy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Wanted to see if I could get some info on how people with roof top storage access it? Recently put a yakima box on top of the FWC and having a hard time balancing on the wheel to put stuff in...especially if it's heavy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I don't have storage on top but i do carry my canoe.When i need to get on the roof i use the foot holds on the back,they work as good as anything this side of a ladder.

Frank

I carry a small ladder when I have lots of stuff on the roof-rack. Click below.

_IGP0526e.jpg

I purchased a "folding" ladder at Camping World about 12 years ago when I had my first FWC. I needed a ladder to reach the outer window storm flaps when the top was up as the camper was mounted on my 4x4 Ford Super Duty. It is a 6 foot straight aluminum ladder the hinges in the middle of the rungs, collapsing to 6' x 4" x 3". Extremely compact. I also used it when tying my canoe down to the Yakima racks in the front and rear of the camper. I no longer have the 1998 FWC but just purchased a Grandby Shell this spring and still use the ladder for access to the sides and front area of the roof that I can't reach from the folding rear steps.

Check this Camping World link for the free standing "step" ladder version that folds down to a size only slightly larger than the one I have. They may still sell the "straight" ladder version that I have, but not on line. I've gotten alot of use out of this over the years. It rides comfortably inside the camper on the window sill.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/compact-folding-ladders/2922

TK

Thanks All! Would rather keep the 'stuff' to a minimum, but maybe one of these would work? Tire Step Has anybody had any experience? Might not be tall enough, but definitely more stable.

Thanks All! Would rather keep the 'stuff' to a minimum, but maybe one of these would work? Tire Step Has anybody had any experience? Might not be tall enough, but definitely more stable.

Those work great, I use one when I need to work on the engine as I have a lifted truck. Try JC Whitney...you'll find them a lot cheaper

I have a wheel step, bought it off Amazon for, I believe, around $20. Adjustable, it works great. I can just get stuff into my Yakima rocket box from the step (6'1" tall, with an Eagle) and I can easily load my whitewater kayaks on the top with the step, so no need to carry a ladder.

Probably the best thing about them is the dual use as a table when you are sitting in camp chairs under the awning. I keep meaning to cut out a small piece of plywood to make it a 'slightly' bigger table and smoother.

you can't go wrong.
Rob

I might try one of those tire steps.

Continuing to climb up that tire with ski boots on is not gonna end pretty.

Back
Top Bottom