Roof top catching on camper when lifting

WestCoast

Advanced Member
I was wondering if this is a known problem and if there are any fixes. I have a new Fleet shell that the front end catches when lifting making it hard to lift. It has just recently started and seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this? What was the fix and or cause? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

WestCoast said:
I was wondering if this is a known problem and if there are any fixes. I have a new Fleet shell that the front end catches when lifting making it hard to lift. It has just recently started and seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else experienced this? What was the fix and or cause? Thanks!

What part of the "front end catches" on what? Inside? Outside? Describe?

I agree with WS, contact FWC for insights..

Thanks...Phil

It's the outside front of the roof on the passenger side. It's like the roof is sitting a little askew on the camper. More roof is hanging over on the front drivers side, less on the passenger side then it's reversed in the back.
I'm wondering if this is a result of the lift panels warping or binding...
I'll contact FWC once I'm back in town.

I'm having a similar experiance although it's the drivers side thats tight. When trying to lift the top it feels like I forgot to unlatch the front

Captm said:
I'm having a similar experiance although it's the drivers side thats tight. When trying to lift the top it feels like I forgot to unlatch the front

Hmmm..both Fleet models..

Called FWC and was told that this is normal for a new camper as the roof settles. The fix is to bend the lip a bit to prevent catching. My plan is to do this and keep a close eye on it. I'm suspicious of lift panel warp causing this. Just thought I'd pass it on In case anyone else has this issue.

WestCoast said:
Called FWC and was told that this is normal for a new camper as the roof settles. The fix is to bend the lip a bit to prevent catching. My plan is to do this and keep a close eye on it. I'm suspicious of lift panel warp causing this. Just thought I'd pass it on In case anyone else has this issue.

Thanks...

What is the 'lift panel warp' you refer to? Do your panels bend?

Phil

There has been issues with the new composite panels bending/warping. There is a thread in here recently talking about it. I hope I'm just being paranoid and this is a minor flaw that will be remedied by bending the drip edge of the roof and not the early signs of a structural malfunction.

WestCoast said:
There has been issues with the new composite panels bending/warping. There is a thread in here recently talking about it. I hope I'm just being paranoid and this is a minor flaw that will be remedied by bending the drip edge of the roof and not the early signs of a structural malfunction.

Understood, I have been following the thread about the panels bending just below the hinges...but my question for you was do you see your panels bending/warping? You said you were suspicious of this issue, but is it present in your camper?

Wondering if there is any connection between panels bending and roof not aligning squarely with the camper body.

Phil

Wallowa said:
Understood, I have been following the thread about the panels bending just below the hinges...but my question for you was do you see your panels bending/warping? You said you were suspicious of this issue, but is it present in your camper?

Wondering if there is any connection between panels bending and roof not aligning squarely with the camper body.

Phil

When my front panel was creased there were no alignment problems with my roof that I noticed.

It's hard to tell with the naked eye. I've put a rough edge against the panel but couldn't tell at the time (I've been out climbing) Right now I'm back at work for the week. Once I get a chance I'll try to get a square on it and see. Something seems off...but I'm trying to stay optimistic because I've got some more outdoor plans in the near future and my dealer is a long ways away!
I'll post my findings soon.

My Hawk seems to be binding also when trying to lift the roof.
I have to stand on the water tank cabinet and lift the roof with my shoulder blade resting on the board going across the ceiling inside.

This is exactly how I have to lift mine now. If I lift the front first, no problems. Back first, it gets caught.

Interesting discussion. I believe FWC recommends lifting the back first.

Next question is how much if anything do you folks have on the roof? Weight does matter. We only have the 160w solar panel and Yakima traks.

Yes it is a grunt to lift the front of our Hawk the first few inches...then the lift assist struts kick in...assuming you have struts and they are sufficient size to give the roof a boost with the load you might have.

Phil

Forgot we also have two Fantastic vents with fans in the roof.

160w solar. Yak track and FF fan. It is definitely catching. It never did it at first and has been progressively getting worse. I'm going to bend the lip once I get a day off and keep an eye on it.

WestCoast said:
160w solar. Yak track and FF fan. It is definitely catching. It never did it at first and has been progressively getting worse. I'm going to bend the lip once I get a day off and keep an eye on it.

Ouch! Damn!

What does FWC say about your problem?

My Hawk had this problem (lip rubbing). I am a few miles from FWC, so I stopped by and they fixed it right up. Just bent the lip with some metal working pliers. No problems since. I have composite panels, but have not seen any issues with them yet.

WestCoast said:
It's the outside front of the roof on the passenger side. It's like the roof is sitting a little askew on the camper. More roof is hanging over on the front drivers side, less on the passenger side then it's reversed in the back.
I'm wondering if this is a result of the lift panels warping or binding...
I'll contact FWC once I'm back in town.

Can you post a picture? Do you have a thermal pack? Sometimes the thermal pack create weird uneven folds.

Back
Top Bottom