roof /vent sealant?

octopus

what do you guys suggest for making the seals around the roof vent and windows? i have to replace 3 windows and also installing a fantastic vent. i don't want anymore leaks.

Am going to second 5200 as well. Have been told that the best way to get something loose that was sealed with 5200 is with a heat gun. Have not had cause to try that, yet. They call is "Marine Adhesive-Sealant" for good reason...

I've used Geocel "Proflex RV" sealant (bought at a local RV service/supply dealer) for sealing screws through the roof of my FWC when installing my solar panels on the roof.
It's formulated specifically for RV external sealant application. Available in more than one color/clear, etc.

i use flexcel sealant from home depot/lowes. it works great and it's clear. it stays flexible no mater what the weather. iv'e used it on many rv's and other applications. just to be on the safe side in case a vent cracks or something, i carry that new spray roof sealer( it comes in clear also).

buckwheat, if you need to see some aged seals done with this stuff, you are welcome to come down.i scabbed over a broken plastic section on the front of my old tent trailer a few years ago.it's still holding great

wes

i'm sorry . i got confused on who needed help. sorry , buckwheat,soon as i hit "post", it dawned on me what i was doing. it would still be nice to see ya though.

wes

try using 3M 4200 it isn't a strong as 5200 so it can be broken loose. A good trick for getting it loose is a piece of stainless wire with a couple of dowels for handles and use it like a saw to cut the goop.

for removing old sealant, i have one of those multi tools from harbor freight. i finally got the chance to use it. the scraper took off the old vent sealant like it wasn't even there, going right between roof panel and vent edge,and the cutting blades were amazing for cutting out rotted struts and such. by far one of the coolest tools ever.

wes

caseboy said:
for removing old sealant, i have one of those multi tools from harbor freight. i finally got the chance to use it. the scraper took off the old vent sealant like it wasn't even there, going right between roof panel and vent edge,and the cutting blades were amazing for cutting out rotted struts and such. by far one of the coolest tools ever.

wes
I've got one of those also, great for trimming fiberglass out of a mold or on the boat. Check out this ebay seller for blades specialtydiamond

nothing to do with campers but here's a project i've had going, made a mold and laid up a solid fiberglass visor over the top of my windows on my boat.

Attachments

• 20130909_1550071.jpg
    20130909_1550071.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom