Rookie water heater question

Fred Stevens

New Fleet owner here. I'm one of the few people who actually reads manuals, but because not all 4 Wheel models are equpped with a water heater, the owner's manual is pretty much silent on how the water heater works. Here's what I know. The Atwood water heater in my Fleet has electronic ignition. After that, it gets a little nebulous. For example,does the water heater light automatically if propane is supplied? I don't see an on/off switch. There is one for the Atwood furnace. Also, the Atwood literature doesn't show a thermostat for this model (there is one for the pilot light models) so how is it controlled? I'm guessing this model has a fixed setting, but that would be nice to know. Finally how do you turn the water heater off? Without an on/off switch I'm thinking the only way to do that is to turn off the propane or power to the camper. Am I missing something?

"Am I missing something?"

Yes, a little black rocker switch... that will turn your heater on/off. That easy. It has a set temp for the thermostat.

What year is your fleet?

Welcome to the site. Lots of good folks on here.

Fred,
contact Brenda at FWC....brenda@fourwh.com and ask her. Brenda will help you regardless of where you bought your camper - from the factory or private party.

You should have an on/off switch on the cabinets.

Furnace uses a thermostat for on/off. Water heater uses a switch for the on/off.

Feel free to call me Monday & I can walk you through it.

:)

Welcome, Fred,

If, by "New Fleet", you mean brand new, then yours is like mine. If so, it looks like you are confusing the water heater switch for a furnace switch. The furnace is turned on by the switch on the thermostat. The switch in a small black panel to the left of the thermostat is the water heater switch. The switch in the lower left corner of the black panel with the battery and water-level monitors turns on the water pump (and light up when it is on). That's how mine works. Maybe this helps...

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
Welcome, Fred,

If, by "New Fleet", you mean brand new, then yours is like mine. If so, it looks like you are confusing the water heater switch for a furnace switch. The furnace is turned on by the switch on the thermostat. The switch in a small black panel to the left of the thermostat is the water heater switch. The switch in the lower left corner of the black panel with the battery and water-level monitors turns on the water pump (and light up when it is on). That's how mine works. Maybe this helps...

- Bernard
Want to thank all who replied to my query. Yes, eventually I figured out that the black toggle switch just to the left of the furnace thermostat wasn't an on/off switch to the furnace but to the water heater. All is well now. Both the furnace and water heater work fine and tomorrow the wife and I may take the new Fleet out for the first time on an overnighter to the Oneill Forebay near Los Banos, CA. Flyfishing for stripers in the evening can be good hear although the fish are on the small side. Chance of showers could make it interesting. Will report back later.

Fred

Back
Top Bottom