Rotopax 4 gallon

idahoron

I have a couple of the 4 gal on order. When I ordered them the plan was to put them in one of my action packers for my ATV and boat. I started to think about using the cans without the trailer. I got an idea, if I were to take a hitch mounted bicycle rack that folds down, I could take the top part of the rack off and on the upright part I could mount the gas cans. If I wanted to get into the camper I could lower the gas cans and enter the camper. This is so far just an idea but I am thinking this would allow me more fuel to get out to some hunting spots that are farther than 250 miles round trip and no gas stations, or any other humans or buildings. has anyone tried this?

Not yet but I'm interested in what you come up with. I'd like to carry some extra fuel as well for saw gas and the quads. I'm also researching tire carriers that I can mount a couple of 3 gal rotopax cans for my jeep. I wish I had the space so I could just buy a welder and a few tools and build something on my own...

Seems like it'd be a bit of the PITA to do it each time in/out, I know I didn't care for having bikes and such behind mine in reaility due to the obstruction. I'd potetially look to see if you could tuck one up along the frame rail or such out of the way.

When I was figuring out where to store extra gas, I discarded storage in the rear or front that could be hit in a small collision by another vehicle - maybe that is a bit alarmist, but didn't want a minor accident to become major due to the gas.

I had a custom rack/box built that bolted under the camper over the truck cab. I can store three of the 2 gal Rotopax in it. Rotopax Carrier mounted under camper, over cab.

I saw yours and it is awesome. My problem is getting to my hunting spot in the desert I needed more gas. That trip is a 250 mile round trip and that is getting close on my truck. I thought about the over the cab but I was worried about flexing and the gas carrier hitting the roof of the truck. For me this is the only place I would use the back mounted carrier and there is no traffic on a dirt two track so I am not worried about getting hit. I would agree with you if I was traveling a paved road,highway or freeway the back mount would be risky.
The idea I have with the back mount would actually place the bottom of the rotopax about even with the bottom of the door so it would be fairly high.

idahoron said:
My problem is getting to my hunting spot in the desert I needed more gas. That trip is a 250 mile round trip and that is getting close on my truck.
I recall that pain, my previous truck had a 26gal tank and I had those same headaches (34gal on the newer one helps limit that). Since this is just to get out for the hunting trip do you have a roof rack on the camper you could consider mounting the pak up there for the drive out? Top off the tank once out there (and put the empty pak back up) so you don't even have to fight against the weight lifting the roof. That 34" wide pack is about 2x the weight of a solar panel and folks mount those without structural issue. Just a thought.

Bummer.

Well on the hitch idea are you just chopping down a bike carrier or making your own? If making your own you may consider offsetting it so its not blocking the door of the camper (come out of the reciever with a 2" square tube till clear of the camper wall, go sideways 2-2.5' to clear the door, then a vertical post up to mount the rotopak to). ~50lb on a 2-2.5' moment arm isn't a huge torque.

I didn't think of off setting it. I will look at that and let you know, that is a good idea.

I run one of these on the back of my Ram 2500 with a spare and two six gallon VP cans of diesel. I'm sure you could customize it for the rotopax cans. They swing out nicely though so you can get into the camper.

http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

The one thing to be cautious about is the weight of these fully loaded. I bet mine is 225+ lbs fully loaded. On a Tundra, the weight of the camper and the tiregate may be a bit much.

We added a 2 gallon to the swing out door on the Samurai.
Works well - low weight.

gallery_2684_751_350768.jpg

Back
Top Bottom