Rough Terrain in the Sequoia Nat'l Forest: what's the limit for a Four Wheel Camper?

crookedtail

We’d like to plan a trip with our new Hawk to Monache Meadows in the Sequoia National Forest. The jeep track in is reputed as being fairly rough, rated as a “class 3”, whatever that means (I’m not familiar with the difficulty rating system). This person posted this information: http://www.ericrench.com/FOURWHEEL/SIERRA/21AUG03/index.htm

Has anyone recently been on that road? In general, though, what would be the safe limit for 4x4 driving with a camper of this type? I’ve done a fair bit of “moderately hard” off-road driving with my old Willies Jeep and Toyota truck, but have no experience doing this sort of stuff with a camper on the back:eek:. Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers!

Never been on that trail, but from his description I don't think it would be an issue. Just check your turnbuckles before the Class 3 sections. I assume you have 4wd and maybe lockers?

CT,

I haven't been on the trail to Monache Meadows and I'm not real experienced with the FWC offroad, still getting a feel for it in the seat of my pants. My experience is more like yours with the smaller, lower CG rigs (jeeps/early broncos/etc.) Even this short/light camper feels big to me and I've had to learn to watch for limbs up as well what the trail looks like.

That said, looking at the pics and write-up of the trail you're thinking about I wouldn't even hesitate to give it a shot, but I'd be willing to turn around if it didn't look right to me too.

I hope Les and Patrick won't mind but I ran across these posts from lqhikers and pvstoy and thought I'd pass them along:

"our eagle shell on 4x4 tacoma was broken loose on one of our trips to baja when we were following the baja race course down not a normal trip . we did some extreme 4 wheeling ,and yes we were air born a few times. on this same trip we broke the truck frame at the air bag mounting point.so that is why i have used factory mounted turnbuckles plus added mounts at 4 corners, i know if i had slowed down and enjoyed the drive it would not of happened! "its the journey" "

Les also details the added tie-downs on this thread: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753
and notes they haven't had a problem since the upgrade.

Here's another (taken out of context) quote from pvstoy: "...I have been on "very" bad roads, many of them. I have watched the furniture re-arrange positions in the camper. I have put screws back into the cabinets that have worked loose. It has been off road on trails that the truck has been beat up and fixed. I find the FCW is very strong and I see no damage..." This was in reference to through bolting the camper to the truck...see the thread at: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270&page=2

I'd guess Les and Patrick have used the FWC's harder than most and should have a good feel for what they can do off road.

To answer your question about how much the camper can take, the camper may take more than the truck or stock mounting system, judging from Les and Patrick's experiences. :thumb:

Happy Trails
'birds

P.S. Most of the experienced off road folks recommend removing the jacks (if you have them) unless you're actually getting ready to take the camper off...helps keep from bending the frame when the jack hits a rock/curb etc.

CT:

While FWC waranties your camper for off road use, the camper -- like your truck -- will last longer if you stay on the pavement. But who wants that? Keep an eye on the turnbuckles, watch your overhangs, and GO SLOW!

i dont really think too much about the camper other than something smacking directly into it.

i expect it to handle anything.

i worry about the truck...the camper can take care of itself.

...oh yeah.....take a spare turnbuckle or two!

I've taken my set-up over some pretty rough terrain in southern Utah, Death Valley, the Alpine Loop in CO and the continental divide trail in Montana. Trails like those are the reason I went with the FWC, over other brands. The camper has handled it all without an issue.

As others have said, take it slow and check your turnbuckles often. Also make sure any extra gear stored in the camper is tightly secured. Coolers, camp chairs and firewood can get tossed around pretty good on a rough trail if they are not wedged together or tied down in some fashion. And don't overfill your fridge or icebox, as the contents may try to escape during the jostling. I speak from experience....

Have a fun safe trip!

Crookedtail

I was in Monache Meadow last August. The Jeep Trail is do able with only a few spots that take a little patience. Be patient and take your time and you shouldn't have any issues. I have a full size rig and didn't have any problems. You will love this area and the surrounding meadows, and oh ya, the fishing can be pretty good. Here are a few pics.

marc

Attachments

• 2007_0614682Xtrap0009.jpg
    2007_0614682Xtrap0009.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 331
  • 2007_0614682Xtrap0013.jpg
    2007_0614682Xtrap0013.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 335
  • 2007_0614682Xtrap0025.jpg
    2007_0614682Xtrap0025.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 327
  • 2007_0614682Xtrap0005.jpg
    2007_0614682Xtrap0005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 2007_0614682Xtrap0011.jpg
    2007_0614682Xtrap0011.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 341
Sounds like it's full steam ahead (but slowly)

Sorry for the late reply...getting ready for the first of a couple trips this summer..busy busy...

Wow! Once again, many thanks to folks for all the great information!! Tomas, good suggestion: the rig I have is a 2002 4x4 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD package (auto tranny). Haven't taken it too many places yet, so I hope it does OK.

OK, more stupid newbieness:eek:: what is a turnbuckle? I'm assuming it's the "tie-down" thing that secures the camper? If so, should I purchase extra ones?

Great pics Marc, thanks!

Cheers!

OK, more stupid newbieness:eek:: what is a turnbuckle? I'm assuming it's the "tie-down" thing that secures the camper? If so, should I purchase extra ones?
What's that saying, "the only dumb question is the one not asked?" I ask plenty of dumb ones around here :D

Anyway, yes, the "turnbuckle" is the "tie-down thing". I don't carry extra's, but many here do. Never heard of one breaking, but I'm sure it could. You can live without one (or even two carefully) until you can get a new one.

Yeah the turnbuckles are the things that attach the camper to the truck. It's a good idea to bring a couple extras with you and a better idea to throw a wing nut and star washer on each to lock them in place.

Back
Top Bottom