Rubber seal replacement

AndyOnTheMountain

Hi everyone, I'm looking to replace all of the rubber seals on my 86' FWC Grandby. Any recommendations on seals (size, shape and how much) and also should I use some silicone behind the seals on all screws?

I notice I do have some leaking on the front corners (near the bed) of my camper. Any suggestions to help would be great.

Remove the screws one or a few at a time, squeeze some poly sealant into the screw holes and replace the screws. I would also remove any old caulk along the aluminum trim edge and redo. Spend the time and get that resealed, leaking along that area is a common reason for the bed board rotting out.The "rubber seal" is actually vinyl trim avail. on amazon. Be sure to order the correct width. Heres a link: https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-10015-Premium-Insert/dp/B0031P64DS/ref=sr_1_36?crid=1WOYC3GCBXQSK&keywords=rv+vinyl+insert&qid=1676729658&sprefix=rv+vy%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-36

I don't think those "seals" are your issue. Those really are just to cover the screw / bolt heads. You may want to remove each bolt and use some silicon (or whatever you prefer) in there though.

kmcintyre said:
I don't think those "seals" are your issue. Those really are just to cover the screw / bolt heads. You may want to remove each bolt and use some silicon (or whatever you prefer) in there though.
Agreed, those black "trim" pieces are not seals. They will prevent driving rain/snow from impacting the screws (bolts is a word I use for bigger screwie thingies) directly.

I'd suggest removing the trim, and having someone using a hose spray at those screw heads and someone inside checking for leaks. If ONE leaks, remove them all and coat the threads with 3m 4200 (NOT silicone!) and reinstall them.

Another possible leak area, especially when driving: "My Camper had the same issue, leak was failure of the weather seal strip in the front that wraps around to the sides. Hawk is a 2005, and the hollow section of the stripping had collapsed from age. I inserted a piece of 1/8 vacuum line into it to restore it's shape and have never had a leak while driving since. I doubt this would be an issue on a newer camper but it is a concern as it will leak there also if your cam latches are not adjusted properly". Also don't dismiss, minor wet/dampness which might be condensation. In my Hawk the upper corners of the cab over are prone to the condensation. I used damp rid for awhile to control this but switched to using a fan which is more efficient and cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom