rubber trim molding

0976claxton

just drove 8 hours of highway speed in 100+ degree weather and my rubber molding around the cab-over portion of the camper won't stay put. luckily the ends are riveted in or it would have just blown off altogether. I presume the rubber trim just got more pliable in the heat and couldn't retain the rigidity to stay within the metal track. wondering if anyone has any long-term solutions to this that have worked. More rivets? silicon? fresh rubber trim? would love to know what has worked for others.

Happened twice. Another member took a screw out and purchased 3 more the same size. He installed then under the 3 marker lights. I pulled the mattress and lifted the carpet and found a bunch of wires, so I chose to pull the molding loose, clean the track and back of the moulding. I installed Gorilla Construction Adhesive in the track and on all of the screw heads in the track. Time will tell whether the adhesive holds it in the track or whether I will need to screw it in place

Mine did the same thing a few days ago driving through Green River in strong headwinds. I'm going to tack it in with a little silicon adhesive.

I used silicone to fix this issue. Been holding up for 3 years now.
It's like a rubber band snapping when that lets go under desert heat....

I just added a few more "well placed" screws with washers. Same issue with heat here in TX. Knocking on wood.... I have had no issues since!

I used Gorilla Construction Adhesive. I pulled the moulding out, cleaned the track and backside of the molding. I then smeared adhesive along the top and bottom of the track, and big globs on the screw heads in the track and used a screw driver with tape on the end to slide and press the moulding in place. I had planned on adding screws like Roger, but when I pulled the mattress back and lifted the carpet up, I found wires running along the bottom of the cabover. Wait and see time on the adhesive. My question is whether there is a gap behind the front aluminum and the interior as I didn't see any screws penetrating inside the front wall and there are many holding the moulding track in place. I didn't want to risk hitting a wire.

I had this happen on my last trip. I secured it with some white duct tape on the side of the road. When I got home I took out one screw and worked all the slack out of the moulding, trimmed about 2" off it and refastened. I haven't had it happen again, but I also haven't had it out in 95+ heat either. I hope it is fixed.

This just happened to us driving through Mojave highway in 100 degree weather. Heard the molding flapping against the camper (by lower window) and saw it over my shoulder. Thanks to others, immediately identified the problem. Pulled over, also lucky it was still attached (due to both ends being tacked down). I put it back in and then placed duct tape over it in a couple spots to get us home.

Clearly need a more permanent solution. I noticed the hex screws under it. I'm still contemplating the best fix, but think I'm going to remove 3 of them upfront and then re-insert them through the molding with a washer...

doc said:
This just happened to us driving through Mojave highway in 100 degree weather. Heard the molding flapping against the camper (by lower window) and saw it over my shoulder. Thanks to others, immediately identified the problem. Pulled over, also lucky it was still attached (due to both ends being tacked down). I put it back in and then placed duct tape over it in a couple spots to get us home.

Clearly need a more permanent solution. I noticed the hex screws under it. I'm still contemplating the best fix, but think I'm going to remove 3 of them upfront and then re-insert them through the molding with a washer...
Hex holds the track in place. I wouldn't remove those. You can uses adhesive or pull one screw and get 3 to add, but be careful to check whether wires run along the front of the overhang.

Lineman said:
I had this happen on my last trip. I secured it with some white duct tape on the side of the road. When I got home I took out one screw and worked all the slack out of the moulding, trimmed about 2" off it and refastened. I haven't had it happen again, but I also haven't had it out in 95+ heat either. I hope it is fixed.
Just got home from a 2500 mile trip in the southeast with plenty of highway speed and 95-100 degree heat without any trouble. Shortening the length of the moulding has resolved the problem.

Same thing just happened to me down here in Texas. I did as Lineman did - trimmed an inch or so, pulled slack, re-screwed one end. Im glad to hear that that might just work!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom