Rubicon River

Just checking my maps. So your hike was below Hell Hole? Thanks for the photos showing that life is coming back. Great that you saw the bruin!

Glad to see the canyon is recovering, hope we get some decent water years so that recovery will continue and quicken.

Nice trip. As you return at future times it will be interesting to see how much recovery growth has taken place.
Nature sure isn't dead,it's amazing just how fast things start to grow back.
Thanks.
Frank

Thanks for sharing! A burn is always hard to look at, but the new life starting back shows that there is some benefit to it. Hopefully, forest management practices will allow the smaller (and non-threatening) burns to occur, so that we won't have catastrophic burns in the future.

Good to see the natural cycle continuing- neat area. I imagine the trout aren't appreciating the sooty river. Thanks for the report.

Doug Stewart said:
Just checking my maps. So your hike was below Hell Hole? Thanks for the photos showing that life is coming back. Great that you saw the bruin!
Doug, you are correct. The Rubicon here is a tailwater fishery. It has been talked about - in the past - for inclusion as a "scenic river" in the Wild & Scenic River program.
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Thanks for sharing! A burn is always hard to look at, but the new life starting back shows that there is some benefit to it. Hopefully, forest management practices will allow the smaller (and non-threatening) burns to occur, so that we won't have catastrophic burns in the future.
Mr. Sage, this catastrophic fire in this canyon was inevitable. It was the only unburned major river canyon in this area. The fuel load was huge after more than a hundred years since a fire. With the rugged terrain, mechanical thinning was out of the question, although the ridge tops to the south had forest health projects completed, the fire flew through these. I was only really surprised that a fire started just north of here would quickly reach that canyon. We had stopped visiting in the late summer and fall because I believed it was too dangerous a place to be caught in with fire.

Back
Top Bottom