Running furnace while driving?

RyanOBrian1

Advanced Member
Forgive me if this has already been asked. I couldn't find anything in a search.

Does anyone run their Atwood furnace while driving? In Colorado, this could be very beneficial in the winter. When I get to where I'm going the heater runs for at least an hour and a half before shutting off. If I ran it while I'm driving it'd be nice and toasty when I arrive, and I won't waste the power getting it up to warm temps.

I've run my furnace while driving.

Not sure if it is recommended, but I never had any problems.

Can't see anything that it would harm.

X2 on the ... "Turn the furnace off while at the gas station refueling" !

I did it all the time in the Class C. Kids would get pretty cold if I didn't. x3 on turning it off while fueling, and some tunnels require propane appliances to be turned off as well. And yet the don't give you a place to pull over to turn it off, so I guess you're supposed to plan well in advance. Can't say I was always able to follow that rule.

Thanks guys. I also contacted Atwood to see what they would say. Here is their response...

"It is not recommended running the furnace while driving as the effect of air pressure causes the flame to go out; sometimes it will relight while it may go into lockout as well."

Ugh, "not recommended." Alot of things I do in life are "not recommended"

we have a pass through from truck cab to camper
(Bella the cat has to be able to go back and forth at her leisure) :D
when it is cold the cab heater lets heat through to rear
and does keep camper warm not hot.

​might be something to think about not hard to make a pass through if you have
a window that opens.

on our fwc we had a slider on the camper on our Northstar the window unsnaps and comes out.

easy mod.

Les,lqhikers

I ran my furnace while rolling for the first time recently......in well below freezing temps.
About 40 minutes before stopping for the night, I stopped and turned the furnace on. Made a HUGE difference in comfort when we climbed in the camper to crawl in bed that nite! (We have a memory foam mattress topper that holds cold VERY well)
I had always been reluctant to do this before, but my RV appliance tech said (right before we left south) it was done all the time, and there was no reason not to....other than when fueling up at a gas station.

I know. Just another opinion, although a rather well informed one.

So, is "not recommended" by the manuf. just covering their legal rears?

lqhikers said:
we have a pass through from truck cab to camper
(Bella the cat has to be able to go back and forth at her leisure) :D
when it is cold the cab heater lets heat through to rear
and does keep camper warm not hot.

​might be something to think about not hard to make a pass through if you have
a window that opens.

on our fwc we had a slider on the camper on our Northstar the window unsnaps and comes out.

easy mod.

Les,lqhikers
Interesting, how did you seal the gap between the truck and the camper?

Ryan,
answer to your ?.

i sewed up a sleeve out of naugahyde (doubled) that was the size of the larger window
which was the camper,then cut a cardboard coller pattern that matched the out line of the
2 window's stapled the sleeve to both coller's (made out of 1/2" plywood) these were then attached to window frame's
with screws.
thats it.

sorry no pictures don't post them anymore.

glad to have you check it out if your ever down here in the warm desert! :D

Les,lqhikers

Back
Top Bottom