Rusted Latches

Wire brush and apply Rust-Oleum all on one primer/rust paint. I have touched mine up and no more rust. FWC would be your best shot.

Hmmm, I hadn’t thought about that. So for a new, or soon to be FWC owner who plans on going to salt water environments a lot would normal maintenance do the trick? Washing, WD-40 etc? I would have thought they were galvanized or something.

They are galvanized, but the salt water environment can be brutal. Thoroughly was down after each trip.
JWL said:
Hmmm, I hadn’t thought about that. So for a new, or soon to be FWC owner who plans on going to salt water environments a lot would normal maintenance do the trick? Washing, WD-40 etc? I would have thought they were galvanized or something.

I like 3 in 1 oil for bare metal; it is thicker and stays in place longer than thin WD-40. WD-40 has it's uses, but I don't use it for corrosion protection as it was designed more as a penetrator/water displacer. I put some pretty large scratches down to bare metal on the inside of my truck bed last year and immediately wiped 3 in 1 on the metal with a paper towel. I have not yet reapplied (will do before rainy season), and there is no sign of rust at all.

A few years ago, I saw a corrosion test on youtube done by a knife maker. He had 6-10 knife blanks and he treated each one (minus a control) with different rust-preventers, and then left the blanks outside for some time, through wet weather. The 3 in 1 was either the best or close to it, and it is very cheap and easy to find.

There are at least two different styles of roof clasps that have been used by FWC.

An older style used up to around 2008 is for sale online mighty cheap and is far easier than trying to clean up those threads.

Use a bedding compound and correct screws if you fit new ones.

David Graves

Back
Top Bottom