SALINE VALLEY HOT SPRINGS, Death Valley N.P. Nov. 12-15, 2015

GroovyDad

I had an amazing first visit to Saline Valley Hot Springs. Click on the link below for my Trip Report.

Saline Valley Hot Springs Death Valley National Park

SV DV NP .jpg

If you made it in 2 and a half hours it wasn't too rough! Glad you had a good time. Did you wander up the road to the other springs (name skips my mind)?

Loved the report and photos! I guess I was last at the hot springs before Saline Valley was added to the enlarged DVNP.

Great blog. Been on my list for yrs. Almost made it 35 yrs ago in my Dodge Dart, but couldn't quite make it thru one wash.
Another more recent memory jogged by the road closed sign. I went around one about 5 yrs ago outside of Coalinga Ca. A road I had taken before. About 10 miles in at a crossroads, two Blm ranger cars pulled up. What was I doing there? I.d. please! After verifying my bona fides, I was " released" with a Blm citation, for being in an " unauthorized" area. They had put off limits the old asbestos mining area, that previously had been a great orv area. Haven't looked up to see what they are doing with it now.

GD Great report. Thanks for posting. Might have to checkout when I retire. Jd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Saline is a cool place and there have been "road closed" signs at both the North and South Pass roads on and off for years. Sometimes it's true though. We had a big storm in Oct. and for awhile every road in the park except 190 was closed, really closed and the park sometimes asks folks to respect the closures as they're working on repairing the damage. It's pretty hard to keep people out of Saline, though and frequently Saline regulars will go out and just repair the damage themselves, or at least render the road passable with appropriate rigs.

I think some volunteers repaired the one washout that I went through. They were even considerate enough to place warning cones on both ends of the washout in case it was too dark to see.

When I went, I had two back-up plans in case the road was impassable:
1. Benton Hot Springs
2. Keough Hot Springs

One way or another, I was gonna find a warm pool of water...

Back
Top Bottom