San Ignacio April 2010

chnlisle

Post Master
I'm thinking about going to see the whales around April 3, 2010. It would be great if a bunch of us could go so if your interested lets kick it around. I'll be going in through Mexicali and down to Gonzaga via San Felipe and Puertocitos. We could meet in Gonzaga or even San Ignacio before heading out to the laguna. It's a ways off but April will be her before you know it.

Aaaaugh! jay, you're killing me. That is one of my dream trips but we are planning a big one in May. We're not retired so I'm not sure how to make this work.

April is a little late in the season, no?

Si. Most of the friendlies may have moved on by then. February is the peak.

Sunny there usually are a few late births through the end of April and we should have great weather too.

Ted work really is the worst of the 4 letter words. Make it happen!

Jay, Anne and I'll be coming along.

Late March, early April can be the best time as the baby whales are older and much more gregarious. I have done the trip many times. If you go earlier, there are more whales, but our very best "hands on" experiences with the whales were the 3 times we went during first week of April.

Attachments

• Photo 65 of 112.jpg
    Photo 65 of 112.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 130
  • img088.jpg
    img088.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Photo 18 of 27.jpg
    Photo 18 of 27.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 139
Jay, Anne and I'll be coming along.

Late March, early April can be the best time as the baby whales are older and much more gregarious. I have done the trip many times. If you go earlier, there are more whales, but our very best "hands on" experiences with the whales were the 3 times we went during first week of April.

Gene, I agree the late births and fewer males make it a much nicer experience in the laguna. It will be a fun trip.

Ok.
The plan is to meet in Calexico (I don't have a time yet) so we will still have cell phone service. Then head for Gonzaga via San Felipe and Puertocitos and arrive while we still have light. Its never too early to plan a San Ignacio trip. C'mon Y'all it will be fun!!!

We're thinking 10 days with some other camping on the Gulf but you can go as long as you want. First we'll go to the Laguna and after that?????

10 days is about right. The road from Puertocitos to Gonzagas is one rocky SOB. Make sure you have good tires and a good spare.

Jay,

If you're heading through Mexicali pick up your tourist permit at the border there. We waited to get our permits in San Felipe this year, as we've done in the past, only to find out that imigracion there no longer has the magic stamp and can't issue permits. We were told to go back to Mexicali (124 miles). We lucked out and found a guy at the airport to issue one but I wouldn't count on that in the future.

Dick

10 days is about right. The road from Puertocitos to Gonzagas is one rocky SOB. Make sure you have good tires and a good spare.

San Felipe to Puertecitos is paved sort of I figure about an hour and a half to go the 50 miles.

A better road is now under construction from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay... but ends in a few miles. The 50 mile drive to Gonzaga is 3 to 5 hours depending on condidtions.

Alphonsina's has a hotel but camping is easy especially with our rigs.

Gonzaga to Highway 1 (37 miles) is a graded road and takes abut 2 hours + a visit with Coco.

Dick, Thanks for the tip. I usually get my "Papers" in Mexicali so we need to add that time to our leave time. I'm figuring we meet in Calexico around 8:30 to 9AM. That should give us enough time to get our tourist cards and get to Gonzaga with enough light to set up for the night.

I just love it when a plan comes together!!

It seems that a lot of folks agree that the first week in April is just too late in the season to go so here's your chance to tell me when you want to go. Y'can't satisfy everyone but I'll try for a date that most you can make it.

Baja Expeditions website shows Laguna San Ignacio whale tours through March 28th. Baja Ecotours leads the whale trips through April 11th. These guys charge thousands of dollars so I would think they expect whales to still be there in early April.

Attachments

• img087.jpg
    img087.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Photo 17 of 27.jpg
    Photo 17 of 27.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo 24 of 27.jpg
    Photo 24 of 27.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Photo 65 of 112.jpg
    Photo 65 of 112.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 131
I'd be more amenable to the February-March time frame.

When we get into April & May I start thinking more about surf trips!

I'd be more amenable to the February-March time frame.

When we get into April & May I start thinking more about surf trips!

Sunny,
As a Baja veteran you would be a welcome and valuable addition to this trip!!!
I think you favor the time line of most.

For the rest of you Please you certainly don't need to be a Baja Vet to do this trip. I think all those that have done it will tell you the whales are truly a life changing experience. I fear this will not be around a whole lot longer. Mitsubishi has had salt extraction EYES on the area for decades now and it's really only a matter of time 'til the laguna gets drained. And this is not like Scammons where there is a wider entrance to the open ocean and the sea water exchange is greater. It won't take much for San Ignacio to become brackish. If you have never been here's an opportunity to go with a group (safety in numbers.) For you guys that have been why not share your expertise on this trip.

Work interfered with the first DV rally, a few funerals interfered with the first Colorado rally. I don't know if this will be called a rally, but I have always wanted to go to San Ignacio. Set the dates, so that I can clear it with my bosses, and I will be there!

Back
Top Bottom