San Ignacio April 2010

Two of my dogs can eat a taco faster than they can taste it. All 3 can eat a rotting stomach and suffer nothing worse than really bad gas. I wish I had the digestive system of a dog; it would be fun to "crop dust" a few offices at work after eating what they can eat.
As long as there are no diseases that I need to worry about, then I'm happy. I'll be sure to bring their rabbis certificates as well as the rabbis tags they wear on their collars.

Make that rabies certificate, not rabbis certificate. My dogs aren't Jewish (at least I don't think they are). I'll ask them if they are after I feed them some bacon. :oops:

I am sooooooo looking forward to this Baja trip!

Attachments

• Img0138.jpg
    Img0138.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo 64 of 112.jpg
    Photo 64 of 112.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Photo 73 of 124_1.jpg
    Photo 73 of 124_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Photo 85 of 112.jpg
    Photo 85 of 112.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 106
OK Im sure you all know this but there is an expectation of a vehicle in good condition and remember NO GUNS!. This is going to be a great trip. I can hardly wait.

OK Im sure you all know this but there is an expectation of a vehicle in good condition and remember NO GUNS!. This is going to be a great trip. I can hardly wait.

Since I am actually going on this trip, I second the requirements of vehicles in great shape (I am an exe-professional mechanic and always seem to be the guy that has to fix everything, not that I mind being helpful). And the part about no guns is essential. Don't even think of hiding a pistol. There will be military checkpoints every 100 miles or so and they will often search your vehicle with drug/gun smelling dogs. We would prefer not to go to a Mexican prison because you brought a pistol along. If you are a routine marijuana smoker and your vehicle has even the slightest remnant odor, stay home.

4x4 is not required for this trip. 4x4 is required in very little of Baja, except to actually drive along the beaches. The roads may be washboard and sometimes muddy. A 4x4 vehicle owned by any of the Baja natives is a rare sight. They prefer the simplicity of 2wd and have learned to drive accordingly.

Good tires are a must since we'll be traveling down the Sea Of Cortez side past Gonzaga and then over to Hwy 1. Not so much the brand or model of tires is important as the tread being at least fairly new and weight handling capacity of the tires is adequate for your truck. If you have a rubber camshaft timing belt (v6 Toyotas), please be sure you are not overdue for a replacement.

It'll be a great trip, I am can't wait!!

Pics are from a not so rare flashflood blocking the road, Bahia De Concepcion, Surfing 7 Sisters, Bahia De Los Muertos

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Baja243.jpg
    Baja243.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMGP0353.jpg
    IMGP0353.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Photo 33 of 112.jpg
    Photo 33 of 112.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 119
If you are a routine marijuana smoker and your vehicle has even the slightest remnant odor, stay home.

LOL. I resemble that remark.

It'd be fun, (to be warm) but the above in conjuction with the fact that I don't think I'll ever get my wife to set foot in Baja again counts us out.

Have fun, guys!

I agree with the no guns or drugs statements. When one travels to another country one should respect the laws, customs, culture and the people. Doing so will enhance the traveling experience and leave a good impression.

I have a few questions for the old Baja hands. Will we be able to barrow guns from the locals so we can shoot the whales? How big of a whale will fit on top of a Granby? Will I have to fold it in halve so it doesn't flop over the windshield? Has any one ever taken a whale through a California Produce Inspection Station? Any hassles? Will I need a special permit? ;) Thanks in advance.

Mike

PS. The voices make me write this stuff.

Mike,

I wouldn't try to bring one home. Like all seafood, they're much better fresh. I'd eat it there.

You may want to bring a couple of 55 gallon barrels, though. With the price of whale oil, you could cover the cost of the trip, including gas and beer!

Guns probably aren't the way to go but you should check into the possibility of borrowing 20 cases of dynamite from the locals, that'll do the trick :D

I'm thinking about going to see the whales around April 3, 2010. It would be great if a bunch of us could go so if your interested lets kick it around. I'll be going in through Mexicali and down to Gonzaga via San Felipe and Puertocitos. We could meet in Gonzaga or even San Ignacio before heading out to the laguna. It's a ways off but April will be her before you know it.

I agree with Advanced Member, late March early April is the best time to touch the whales. The males have headed north so the moms and calves are less anxious and more friendly. Check out ignaciosprings.com, the site for my friends Gary and Terry and their B & B. They will set up the whole trip for you, you can hang out there and in the cool little town of San Igncacio, and even stay in a yurt. Have fun and give one of those 45 footers a big kiss for me. Tksurf

Awesome trip guys!!!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I'll be meandering around Baja 2/14-3/7 with some other Jeepers... if anyone is going to be down there during that timeframe PM me here and maybe we can meet up...

Baja norte Has taken a severe hit in these last rains..Many bridges out between ensenada and guerrero negro...this is(was) the bridge in El Rosario...should be a green spring in the desert..

Attachments

• IMG00335.jpg
    IMG00335.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 126
The photo reminds of my first trip to Baja in January '93. It rained like heck all the way down. We were camping in Mulege' and the campground owner told us the road north was closed. Three bridges were washed out and it was expected to be months before they were repaired. We left early the next morning and got as far as the hotel in Catavina. The hotel wasn't full, but there were hundreds of people camping in the parking lot, waiting for the road to open. Word was there were three hundred vehicles parked at the first washed out bridge, cars, commercial trucks, Rv's, etc. It was getting ugly for the RV owners as everyone wanted to use their bathrooms and get water and food.

We had two options. Go to Santa Rosalia and take the ferry over to the mainland and go north from there. But we were told that required a pink slip, which we didn't have. Or go south 30 miles and take a dirt road over to Bahia Gonzaga and go north from there to Puertocitos, where we would pick up a paved road to San Felipe and home. We formed a caravan of five vehicles and went with the latter. Not being in vehicles designed for Baja off-road, it took us two days to cover the 100 miles to pavement. I was hooked on Baja.

Six months later I did my second Baja trip with my wife. The bridges were still being rebuilt, but there was a detour plowed through the riverbed. Long story short, don't let this stop your plans. Even if the bridge is still closed, there will be a way to go south. Through the river or around it, the Transpanisular is the only way to get goods north and south in Baja, and they will find a way to make sure trucks, and you, can get through.

A friend of mine is down there and sent these pictures and words:

Picture1 At El Rosario = This is the best show in town!

Picture 2 El Rosario - A little traffic is backed up waiting to cross the arroyo. I'm still 250 miles south of here!

Picture 3 They may get the truck across, but, will it run?

Picture 5 I am not doing this to my truck and trailer!

elrosariobajacalifornia01.jpg
elrosariobajacaliforniaf02.jpg
elrosariobajacaliforniau03.jpg
elrosariobajacalifornia04.jpg
05P1070956.JPG

Next group:

Picture 6 IT'LL BE A WHILE !!! San Vincente Bridge -
Picture 7 They're working on it.

Once again, the best show in town.

06P1070997.JPG
07P1080001.JPG

Back