San Juan Islands 2018

Marc

Fire Proof
Just a few teaser shots from my recent trip to the San Juan Islands WA.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 184
Which island(s) did you visit?
We spent a week on Orcas several years ago. Brought our boat & fished. Was really surprised by how dynamic the tidal currents are between islands. A lot of water moves into & out of Puget sound twice a day.

Paul

PaulT said:
Which island(s) did you visit?
We spent a week on Orcas several years ago. Brought our boat & fished. Was really surprised by how dynamic the tidal currents are between islands. A lot of water moves into & out of Puget sound twice a day.

Paul
Started off on Fidalgo, where I caught the Ferry out of Anacortes. From there I went to San Juan then Orcas followed by Shaw and then on to Lopez. Of all the Islands I loved Lopez the best.

marc said:
Started off on Fidalgo, where I caught the Ferry out of Anacortes. From there I went to San Juan then Orcas followed by Shaw and then on to Lopez. Of all the Islands I loved Lopez the best.
Lopez is our favorite as well. Friendly and interesting. We also enjoy the Gulf Islands just over the border. Mayne and Galiano are our favorites there.

Yes, we liked Lopez Island as well. Stayed right on the beach at Odlin County Park. And there is even a little brewery on Lopez Island. Barely brews more than some home brewers, but he does a good job.
San Juan county Park on San Juan Island was fun too. We could watch whales and all the ships going by.

Ted said:
IMG_1229.jpgYes, we liked Lopez Island as well. Stayed right on the beach at Odlin County Park. And there is even a little brewery on Lopez Island. Barely brews more than some home brewers, but he does a good job.
San Juan county Park on San Juan Island was fun too. We could watch whales and all the ships going by.
Odlin County Park was very nice and empty

Thanks Orcas Island was the very first campground we ever stayed at,that was back in late 70s.
Had a great time there.Since then we have stayed on Friday Harbor at some kind of city/county park (tented it),
on a return trip in 09 from Alaska. Just before we bought the Bobcat.
The islands are nice but very crowded during the summer.
Post more pictures.
Frank

We stayed at Lopez Island for 3 days and did a day trip to Friday Harbor. Highlight of the trip was watching a transient Orca pod feasting on a sea lion. Our group was first on the scene and we had the show to ourselves. The transient group was unknown and a research vessel arrived to photograph their dorsal fins and record their vocalizations. It was a real tight squeeze driving onto the ferry - I couldn't imagine taking my current rig there now.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Orcas Island was the very first campground we ever stayed at,that was back in late 70s.
Had a great time there.Since then we have stayed on Friday Harbor at some kind of city/county park (tented it),
on a return trip in 09 from Alaska. Just before we bought the Bobcat.
The islands are nice but very crowded during the summer.
Post more pictures.
Frank
As requested Frank

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1218.jpg
    IMG_1218.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 106
Brings back memories of a 4-day guided kayak trip we took there about 10 years ago which we really enjoyed. The landscape is so similar to the boreal forest lake country of our northland, with the added feature of salt water. It was very interesting to us. We didn't see whales on our trip but lots of other wildlife and sea creatures. Thanks for posting about your trip!

Planning right now to spend at least a week there during the one nice week we have during March or April. The ferry is less than an hour away. The ferry rates are increasing again this year in October as they did last. Small price to visit some of the most beautiful islands anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom