Satellite emergency device and GPS unit

Foy

Resident Geologist
Gentlemen and ladies,

Some here at WTW are aware that we lost our oldest son to sudden heart failure 18 months ago. With our daughter-in-law and their two children, now 11 and 8, living just 200 yards from our home, we stepped into new duties and obligations on the home front and that has curtailed our extended travel almost entirely. We do expect to "get back on the horse" in September 2024 with a one week fly-and-drive to our beloved southwestern corner of Montana in observance of our 46th anniversary and with a much more extensive trip in the old Superduty towing our GeoPro travel trailer to central Montana in July 2025. Our grandson is still young enough at age 11 that he enjoys going on "Pop Adventures", most of which are daytrips involving hiking, looking at rocks, paddling, or trips on my 18' center-console fishing boat. So, with the increasing recovery of grizzly populations in southwestern Montana, advancing age (I'm 69 as of today, wife 68, and both my wife and I enjoy good health), and an anticipated increase in one-on-one adventures with my grandson, I think it's a good time to get some sort of emergency beacon and make sure that all involved know how to use it.

I've read many posts here on WTW and seen a metric ton of YouTube video reviews, etc, but like Ski's recent post concerning mapping software, I find a lot of comfort and confidence in the WTW community's opinions. With that as the background, and with the technology changing almost monthly, I wonder what general or specific recommendations you folks may have regarding features to consider mandatory as well as features to consider useless or burdensome and thereby to avoid. Any guidance much appreciated.

On the GPS front, most here are aware of my mantra: There is no complete substitute for maps, a compass, and the skillset to use them. Comes from being a long ago trained field geologist and I can't and won't forget how to navigate. And rest assured, my grandson is already receiving instruction in old school land navigation skills (Where did you get all these cool maps, Pop?). But in addition to looking in to the emergency beacon, I think it's high time to take a bold leap at least into the early 2000s and acquire a handheld GPS, my first ever excepting for the one which Steve Jobs put into my iPhone. I'd really like to have a GPS with a topographic map base and a decent sized screen. Also of interest would be fishing oriented units having bathymetric data for lakes, reservoirs, and coastal estuarine waters. To my presently feeble knowledge, practically any boat mounted GPS can access specific lake or coastal waters bathymetry data but I don't know to what extent a handheld unit can download such. So, any general recommendations or directions to search within coming from the WTW community would be much appreciated.

With much appreciation in advance, I look forward to any opinions and suggestions.

Foy

Foy,

My condolences on you and your family's loss.

You may wish to look at this review of the Garmin GPSMAP 67i. The 'i' means it is the same functionality as the Garmin inReach mini 2 (a dedicated satellite emergency device). I just bought the GPSMAP 67 and can vouch for it being by far the best Garmin handheld (it is my 3rd). I did not get the 67i because I already have an inReach mini 2.

Here is a review: Garmin GPSMAP 67i Review - HikingGuy.com

And a YouTube tutorial:

What a fine thing to take the youngin on your adventures.

Tony

Foy, our sincere condolences. Losing a child must be heartbreaking! Your grandson will appreciate the skills he’s learning from you.

A friend of mine just purchased one of these. Garmin Tread® - Base Edition | Powersports GPS
Pretty nice unit and the 5" may or may not be small for hiking depending on your needs. Too pricey for me though. You can pry my paper maps from my, wait that may be getting carried away but I like a gps as an adjunct, not a replacement for a real map.

I'm so sorry for your loss Foy! Agree with you on the paper maps and compass; it seems like with everything else these days, pushing a button on a nice electronic device is sure neat-until the battery goes out that is:(! I still carry an old Garmen in the truck to check my map location (It is loaded with maps of most of the locations I like to travel to. In addition, since I am now an old senior citizen who travels alone with his dog these days, I have joined the modern world and have a Spot X with that magic SOS button (and now my new one lets me text too)!

I have spent the extra $300.00 or so bucks and upgraded my explorer coverage so someone will come and get me if something goes wrong-yes more money, but that extra cushion I have now will allow me a few more years before time and age will keep me in my back yard and not out WTWing. What ever works-works-right!

Smoke

My condolences also.

I'm a 75 y.o. traveling with a beagle and camping in remote places. I carry an inReach SE and a Garmin GPS, along with lots of maps and compass. I always want to know where I am on a paper map.

The inReach is used primarily to let my family know I am OK and give my location each evening.

I'm not a fan of multi-purpose tools.

I use ZOLEO which uses an APP on your phone with a separate satellite device via Bluetooth. Works well for me and was a reasonable price along with the service plans.

I use paper maps along with an APP called Scenic Maps for off grid / no cell navigation.

Many years ago I took a road off the 27n03 in the Plumas NF and turned around when I found a muddy section of the road. I won't dig ruts if I don't have to. I've looked for that spot on off for years. Finally found it this year using a combination of paper maps and gps. Turns out it was just a tiny section where a spring ran across the road. I should have walked it. I know all the roads around the Lake but this small section SE of the lake has eluded me. My ancient Magellan gps really helped to find it.

Foy, we have not used a handheld GPS for over a decade. I don't even know where the old Garmin GPS Map60 is. For "electronic" navigation we use an old 8" android tablet with the Backcountry Navigator Pro app. There are many other options available now. Navigator Pro is what I learned to use years ago so I'm sticking with it. The base map is the old USGS 7.5 topo that I'm so familiar with, so no learning curve there. The GPS antenna in the tablet is as good or better than any handheld GPS unit I've owned. The app puts our location in real time right on the familiar map. I can take distance measurements and compass bearings - that we often put into our handheld compasses 'cause it's simpler. It is easy to mark "waypoints" and use "GoTo" to navigate to them. The 8" screen is so much easier to see than a small screen on a handheld. I installed a large mirco sd card for all the downloaded map files. And, the downloading map files function of this app is one of the "cons" with Backcountry Navigator Pro. I do not use any kind of "connectivity" in the wild. Yes, it runs on batteries, so much of the time we have backup printed topos from our ancient TOPO! program or off the web at CalTopo. We, of course, also have a massive collection of real 7.5 quads. Our handheld compasses are always with us and will be touched upon in the upcoming adventure story on the blog.

For emergency and satelite communication text messages we have our old (original) InReach device.

Again, our condolences on your loss. What a heartbreak. Those grandkids will keep you young and they are blessed to have your "old guy" instruction.

Our best to you and your family.

A belated and sincere Thank You to all who have offered gear suggestions and condolences. Since initially posting the question around 3 weeks ago we've been very busy with the kids getting under way with their new school year (year-round calendar) and I went down for > a week to back spasms more severe than I'd had for at least a dozen years. But it appears that I've rallied just in time for this week's start of Fall League baseball practice with The Boy. We'll collectively get through this and some quality time (and safe time) afield, on the water, and on the ball field will be instrumental to making that happen.

Foy

Foy, sorry to hear about the back spasms. That is the most intense pain I’ve ever experienced. Have fun with The Boy and baseball practice!

Back
Top Bottom