Sawmill Lake near Truckee

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Need a quick getaway this weekend to make up for the last few weeks. Been wondering about checking out Sawmill Lake a little southeast of Bowman Lake. Has anyone been to this lake lately? Wondering what the road conditions are like. If we go in late Friday evening after work, is there likely to be space available?

We haven't been up there this year. The road along Bowman is a bit long and bumpy, but usually not a problem. If you go to Sawmill, there's a trail that crosses the dam and goes (uphill) to Rock Lk. which is very beautiful. I've seen camping in the woods along Sawmill and a bit further along the road where the stream crosses it, but that looked dusty.
If you do go, also drive up to the end of the road to Faucherie, a sweet granite lined lake. Good kayaking there.

There's also some camping at the end of Bowman where the road turns off to Sawmill Faucherie. I think you should be able to find something.

Let us know if you go with a report!

Andy
www.pbase.com/lighthawk

Need a quick getaway this weekend to make up for the last few weeks. Been wondering about checking out Sawmill Lake a little southeast of Bowman Lake. Has anyone been to this lake lately? Wondering what the road conditions are like. If we go in late Friday evening after work, is there likely to be space available?

i was up late last year.

dont drive bowman lake road to get there.
go in from the other side.
the road right next to bowman has had riprap dropped on it....the stuff is sharp. two flats!

weekenders are going to share the area with a lot of atv traffic.

we left on a friday, there was a lot of traffic, rv'ers, toy haulers, heading in at that time.
we camped at a nice site very close to the water and had a wednesday to ourselves. thursday nite the atv crowd showed up.

Hi Ted. Have you thought about the lakes area around Gold Lake. There are some nice small lakes along inter lake road just a few miles south of Gold Lake. Goose Lake is one. You can camp right next to the lake,also there are some sites at the back end of Gold Lake that a 4wd can get to just a close drive from the main road. When we were there several years ago the place was quite,didn't see or hear any ATVs. The lakes are good boating and fishing. Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

Frank

Thanks for the info, folks. Herr, I didn't realize there was another route, good to know. Marc (XP Camper) also told me that it likely fill up there by Friday night. Guess I'll wait until I have some time off to visit that area.
Frank, a couple of years ago a member from Truckee mentioned the Gold Lake area. I had forgotten about that. And it is not too far for us. Thanks for the reminder, that will go to the top of the list of places to explore.

Thanks for the info, folks. Herr, I didn't realize there was another route, good to know. Marc (XP Camper) also told me that it likely fill up there by Friday night. Guess I'll wait until I have some time off to visit that area.
Frank, a couple of years ago a member from Truckee mentioned the Gold Lake area. I had forgotten about that. And it is not too far for us. Thanks for the reminder, that will go to the top of the list of places to explore.

We enjoyed the area and the camping was FREE at the littler lakes along the road.

Frank

TED, GO IN FROM THE JACKSON MEADOWS LAKE AREA, DRIVE TO JACKSON MEADOWS OFF HWY 89 OUT OF TRUCKEE, GO ACROSS DAM AND HEAD TOWARDS BOWMAN LAKE, BEFORE YOU GET TO BOWMAN LAKE THE TURN OFF TO SAWMILL WILL BE ON YOU LEFT. WAS UP THERE JUST A WEEK AGO WITH OUR QUADS. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ANY OF THE AREAS FILLING UP, THERE IS UNLIMITED AREAS TO CAMP !!

Back
Top Bottom