Scaling the heights into the Ram cab

Durango1

Hello all,

Well we broke in our new Hawk/Crew Cab Ram 2500 combo with our first semi long trip into Southern Utah last week. Bluff, Bullfrog, Boulder, Escalante and then down Cottonwood Creek to Page and then back to Durango. A good time was had by all and we've got lot's of little mods to make on the camper. (I was impressed with the Ram- with the camper on back our 2WD traction was very good- I only went into 4WD a few times.)

Now for the challenge. My 5'5" mid-50's wife is struggling with arthritis and it is quite a lunge for her into the Ram's cab. I just went through all 17 pages here under truck mods and mostly the Power Steps recommended. However, they do seem like just one more thing to break down and pricey too.

I'm not real crazy on the looks of the tube style running boards plus they don't really come down far enough to help her. So are there any hoop steps that can be flipped up? Or is this just not practical? Any suggestions welcomed.

Steve

Hello all,

Well we broke in our new Hawk/Crew Cab Ram 2500 combo with our first semi long trip into Southern Utah last week. Bluff, Bullfrog, Boulder, Escalante and then down Cottonwood Creek to Page and then back to Durango. A good time was had by all and we've got lot's of little mods to make on the camper. (I was impressed with the Ram- with the camper on back our 2WD traction was very good- I only went into 4WD a few times.)

Now for the challenge. My 5'5" mid-50's wife is struggling with arthritis and it is quite a lunge for her into the Ram's cab. I just went through all 17 pages here under truck mods and mostly the Power Steps recommended. However, they do seem like just one more thing to break down and pricey too.

I'm not real crazy on the looks of the tube style running boards plus they don't really come down far enough to help her. So are there any hoop steps that can be flipped up? Or is this just not practical? Any suggestions welcomed.

Steve

We have a similar problem -only with a Tacoma it is getting in and out of the FWC that is the problem. We use a bumper step and an upside down sturdy plastic box. I know it may seem a bit too much like Walter Raleigh and the cloak but you could keep steps (or a box) in the rear and go round to her side with it each time she gets in or out. You might not like it but I expect she would, at least for a little while.

My wife complained about the same thing. Gene Rubin and I installed http://www.amp-research.com/products/truckaccessories/powerstep/
We drove all over Baja last spring and some very challenging terrain up to Skull Rock in KOFA. The KOFA trip would with out a doubt torn off any externally attached step.

The installation of the steps were quite easy the electrical was a different story. After connecting the driver side wiring to the drivers "door ajar" lead Gene spent over an hour in very cramped quarters searching for the passenger door ajar lead in a huge loom of wires. The directions for the color code lead were either wrong or Dodge uses various different coding. We finally just wired both to the drivers side.

That being said I love the steps. They tuck out of sight and are quite sturdy. I would do it again and at some point on one of my CA trips i'll stop at AMP research in Tustin and let them find the passenger side lead.

Now I'm sure your wife will hate it, but this is what I use to get my 110 pound buddy in and out of the camper and the crew cab: http://www.petstep.com

I have been looking at the Amp steps for a year now, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.....yet. They seem like the ideal solution though, at least for the two legged variety of passengers.

Attachments

• pet step.jpg
    pet step.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 148
I'm not sure what year your truck is, but the 2002-2005 had a poor design on the a pillar. If you have that year that needs to be reinforced.

http://www.turbodies...ighlight=pillar
http://www.imcoprodu...geramaccesories

Trust me, when it lets loose isn't nearly as funny as it looks :(

P.S. When I repaired mine I used the imco product plus I fiberglassed the whole thing in. Not gonna let that happen again.

I'm not sure what year your truck is...
2012 so hopefully they have it resolved by now.

Steve

Hopefully but its not encouraging imco sells a kit 06 to present. Might want to take it off and take a look at it just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom