Schmidt - Curtis Stebbins Pack Saw

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
After 30 years, I finally decided to get a new blade for my Curtis-Stebbins pack saw. We've used this for canoe and camping trips on most of our adventures. It's kind of a handy piece of kit when you need to buck up some firewood, or clear some limbs out of the way when you're exploring.

Still made in Maine.

gallery_4841_711_2613041.jpeg

gallery_4841_711_3115270.jpeg

Ha, we've got one of those- at least 40 years old. Same design but made in Minnesota. You can cut through an 8" log easily with that thing. Probably should get a new blade too. It is a cherished piece of kit. :)

gallery_2966_573_2154130.jpg

Link? I prefer a chainsaw for road clearing but one of those would be a good backup for when the saw wont' start or I just didn't bring it.

takesiteasy said:
Ha, we've got one of those- at least 40 years old. Same design but made in Minnesota. You can cut through an 8" log easily with that thing. Probably should get a new blade too. It is a cherished piece of kit. :)

gallery_2966_573_2154130.jpg
I bought my saw from Piragis/Boundary Waters (your link) in Ely, MN, but I think the saw was made in Maine. Regardless, they sure are handy!

2x Sven Saw - very compact, but the Curtis-Stebbins is cool looking and I'm sure very capable.

Ronin said:
2x Sven Saw - very compact, but the Curtis-Stebbins is cool looking and I'm sure very capable.
The buck saw style of the C-S saw will allow you to more easily cut larger diameters than the Sven. The Sven is really nice, but I like the feel of wood.

Here's one I keep on the hearth. My father made it out of a couple of pieces of hickory and an old bandsaw blade. it's not practical, but will trim kindling down to length.

gallery_4841_711_69263.jpg

Back
Top Bottom