Scissor Steps: Torklift vs. Brophy?

menoco

Advanced Member
Thinking of adding a set of aluminum scissor steps. Torklift and Brophy appear similar. Any others tried these? Installation issues?

I would like to leave them hanging in place while underway. Is it advisable? Otherwise, it’s 20 lbs. to lift out and hook on to get in and out.

Thanks for help.

Armando

Found and read these posts:

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/2351/

http://www.wanderthe...hp?/topic/6664/

I've got the Brophy AS23 (24" wide) 3-step version and it's a great setup for our Grandby config. To address a slight camper overhang situation I just added a 1" angle iron support piece along the bottom edge of the camper below the entry door, and attached two large (6") swinging hinges that I affixed the Brophy-provided bracket to. The top rail of the steps then simply drops into the bracket, and a couple 3" strips of Velcro wrap around the rail/bracket cinches everything up securely. This allows the top step to be well below the floor level of the camper, and thereby only needed a 3-stepper as opposed to a 4-stepper (smaller footprint in tight places, less lateral distance out from the camper door). Whatever would work best for you... The steps really aren't a problem to put off and on while traveling, so I'd advise this strategy rather than trying to hang them off the truck camper while you're moving, something tells me you'd soon be minus some steps and possibly looking at some unsightly rear damage. (Now, if the steps were adequately supported and tightly secured in some manner, then I could be wrong about that). Anyway, best of luck getting your new step system in place, hope you love 'em like we do.

I have the Torklift steps. They are very sturdy yet reasonably lightweight, and I am pleased with them. An important point for me is they are wide enough for my dog to navigate. Installation should be simple, but I don't recommend leaving them in place when traveling for the reason Rico mentions. In my case, they would also block the license plate.

It takes very little time to set them up. They are always the first item removed and the last item stowed, so they go right in the back of the camper by the door.

Thanks to you both. Understand that best stowed when moving.
Both Torklift and Brophy come in 3 and 4 steps, and both say that 3-step measures 30" from bracket to ground. Assume it's to top of bracket. My Hawk sits on 2x4 attached to bottom of camper - added for camper to clear the sides of the truck bed. I plan to mount step bracket to the 2x4. I measure the center line for drilling holes for bracket at 31.25" off ground. below is pic of the area below the door. The tailgate is off.
So, does that mean that I will need the 4-step model, and can't get away with the 3-step. Obviously for weight and space want the smallest one that will reach the ground, yet be stable.
RicoV, sorry, but I can't picture how you installed yours. Did it give you a few more inches?
Armando

Attachments

• 2013_05_01_LX5_0831-doorJamSteps-72x700.jpg
    2013_05_01_LX5_0831-doorJamSteps-72x700.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 414
That height just misses the three step range, doesn't it? Now a confession from me. I lost the mounting bracket before I could install it. So, as a temporary fix until I could find the bracket, I tried resting the steps against the the truck bumper and holding it in place with two beefy rubber straps hooked firmly between the bumper and steps. It has worked so well that I stopped looking for the bracket and the temporary fix has become -ahem- permanent. it has added a few scratches to the plastic coat on the bumper, but I don't care about that, personally. The reason I mention this is, it allows you to mount the steps at a lower height. I don't know if that's a solution you would want to consider, but it might allow you to get away with the three step version.

Otherwise, I guess you might be better off with four steps. If you park off level with the truck pointing uphill, you might find the three-step won't reach. My truck's mounting height fell well within the three-step range, and if I am parked facing uphill, using leveling blocks, sometimes the steps don't reach unless I block them, too.

Yep, wound up accounting for 4 to 5 vertical inches using the heavy-duty 6x6" butt hinges I got via hardwaresource.. In theory you could attach them solidly (!) to your rear 2x4 , then drill any necessary holes in your bracket (if that's the hardware you wind up with) and bolt it to the hinges (bracket and hinge pics below). Also attached is a pic of my 1" angle iron config, but it sounds like you won't be needing anything like that...

Attachments

• brophy_bracket_2001.jpg
    brophy_bracket_2001.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 315
  • hardwaresource_hinge_6x6_category_219500-lg.jpg
    hardwaresource_hinge_6x6_category_219500-lg.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 411
  • camper support rail 002.jpg
    camper support rail 002.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 458
That height just misses the three step range, doesn't it? Now a confession from me. I lost the mounting bracket before I could install it. So, as a temporary fix until I could find the bracket, I tried resting the steps against the the truck bumper and holding it in place with two beefy rubber straps hooked firmly between the bumper and steps. It has worked so well that I stopped looking for the bracket and the temporary fix has become -ahem- permanent. it has added a few scratches to the plastic coat on the bumper, but I don't care about that, personally. The reason I mention this is, it allows you to mount the steps at a lower height. I don't know if that's a solution you would want to consider, but it might allow you to get away with the three step version.

Relieved that there are others on WTW who are from the Duct Tape School of Repair and follow its motto: All repairs are temporary.
But in the end, if in doubt, I need to go with the 4-step

Yep, wound up accounting for 4 to 5 vertical inches using the heavy-duty 6x6" butt hinges I got via hardwaresource.. In theory you could attach them solidly (!) to your rear 2x4 , then drill any necessary holes in your bracket (if that's the hardware you wind up with) and bolt it to the hinges (bracket and hinge pics below). Also attached is a pic of my 1" angle iron config, but it sounds like you won't be needing anything like that...

Thanks for photos. I see how the 1" angle worked and anchored a turn-buckle. It suggest that I might be able to add brackets or another 2x4 to hold the step-bracket. I would probably need to drill the bracket about 2" lower for the 3-step to reach.

Back
Top Bottom