Screen Door Latch Catching

Hello,
I have a new FWC, picked up on January 12th, and I'm having an issue with the screen door latch catching when I go to open the main door. I haven't even used the camper yet and today when I went to open the door to put something in there the door wouldn't open. When I put a fair bit of pressure to open it the outer bigger door opened but it left the screen door closed. It looks like the piece that holds the screen door to the main door isn't holding the latch back enough to clear the door frame anymore. Has anyone else had this issue? This hasn't been a problem until today, the door opened fine.

I live about 3 hours from the dealer so I don't want to have to pop back over there for something that I can poke at myself.

I think I fixed it. The part on the main door that catches the screen door has elongated holes where the screws go in to allow you to adjust. The top one was max to the right, but the bottom screw had a touch of room left to go to the right. That did the trick for allowing the door to open but I can still hear the very tip of the screen door latch catch the frame. Has anyone modified that latch before? I'm thinking of adding a dab of hot glue or something to it so I holds the screen door latch further in. Also this is a brand new camper, I feel like I shouldn't have to be doing things like using something to "fix" the door piece yet, am I off on being a bit frustrated with it so far? I have some more details on the other stuff that I've had to fix below for context.

I already had to replace the stationary window on the screen door because for some reason it was way too short and left a gap when the slider was closed all the way. The stationary piece was just under 10 inches wide and should have been 12, they have no clue why that was so short on mine. There was also a crap ton of calking in there that needs to be removed, when I asked about it they mentioned that it's weird and they don't use silicone on that. I've noticed some other not so great things as far as stuff scratched up a bit on the inside, like small chunks missing on the rubber counter top edge piece and gouges on a counter surface. Also where the propane tanks go in and out looks like the bottom part is worn out from tanks going in and out a lot. My first thought was someone sanded that little plastic lip to make the tanks fit going in but looking at it you wouldn't need to and it's way rougher than someone sanding it. The other weird thing is the strike plate for the dead book has a large aluminum piece over what looks like a massive hole in the frame. The hole behind the strike plate bent way in and has super jagged edges. The cut for that hole actually goes to where you can see it from the front of the door frame, like it wraps around. It looks like there was repair done due to a break-in or something. Has anyone else received a newer camper with these types of issues? They are things that I would have expected in a used camper, not a brand new one I waited 18 months for. The dealer I went through has been pretty slow at responding to my questions about them and the dealer every time I called says that's weird send us pictures and we'll get back to you, then they never get back to me. I'm not really at the buyers remorse yet, but it's not super great to spend like $25K+ on something and have to fix things when you get it. The dealer is about 3 hours from me so going back and forth to them isn't the easiest either. So I'm trying to be reasonable and fix stuff myself, but man...I haven't even used it yet and I'm having to address things.

End Rant

Defiantly contact Stan,they need to make issues right.You shouldn't have to have
these problems with a "NEW" camper.
FWC is a good dealer and will take care of your problems.
Frank

My screen door was doing the same thing on my new 2022 Hawk. The screw holes were stripped and the black plastic catch on the door was moving out of whack. I used new stainless, slightly larger screws and added some 3m double sided tape behind it.

+1 to Capt Davenport. I had similar issues, mines five months old. Door jam screw was just spinning so had to find slightly bigger screw and loctite. It’s ok but I think after a lot of use it’ll need something better. Also had to cinch down the black plastic piece on the door itself holding the latch. I do feel that should have been installed better but I can handle it.

I haven’t had a problem with the latch holes stripping out, but it did take me a bit to find just the right latch positioning to handle the temperature change related relative expansion of the doors and camper. Initially the latch was fine most of the time but the screen latch was catching on the door frame on warm days with sun shining on the back wall.

So recognize you might be having a shift in adjustment due to thermal expansion on top of whatever else is going on.

Jon R said:
I haven’t had a problem with the latch holes stripping out, but it did take me a bit to find just the right latch positioning to handle the temperature change related relative expansion of the doors and camper. Initially the latch was fine most of the time but the screen latch was catching on the door frame on warm days with sun shining on the back wall.

So recognize you might be having a shift in adjustment due to thermal expansion on top of whatever else is going on.
Funny you say that because I went out for my first trip last weekend ran into exactly that. The day the latch watch catch on the door frame was the warmest day we've had so far this year 70 something out. Then this weekend camping at night it was in the low 50's high 40's and the screen door was no having issues coming off the main door. I think I finally have it in the right spot because those chilly mornings it worked fine, then today is 76 right now and no issue at all.

I also just replaced the too short stationary plexiglass that came in a week or so ago. There was some issues getting that in place with mis-aligned frame stuff but damn everything is now working like it should......*knocks on everything wood around me

Also thanks for the replies and suggestions to help me keep my sanity. There were so many little things catching me up that it was getting to me a bit. The first trip put everything back into perspective I think.

Back
Top Bottom