Screen Door question

Hayduke

I'm sure someone knows what's involved in having a screen door installed. I didn't get one when I bought my shell back in 1996. Every year I regret it. Do you have to take the door off to install the screen door? I'm tired of the roll of netting I use that's velcroed above the door and along door opening edges.
Any help appreciated
Hayduke

I'm assuming that the door assemblies are similar on all models. I installed a screen door on my Falcon shell and it was well worth the price I paid to Ben at ATC. At the same time I changed the "guts" on the fantastic roof vent to make it a fan version. World of difference in ventilation!!!

The screen door is part of a door assembly and. as far as I could tell, can't be added without replacing the whole door frame and entry door.

The new door frame was a bit narrower than the original but, since these are custom made at the factory, the measurement error was mine. I should have pulled off the inside trim and given them the dimensions of the cutout as well as the dimensions of the inside of the door frame. A little extra caulk along the inside edges solved any leak problems. The new door assembly is thicker than the original thus protruding inside but that was no big deal, just got creative when reinstalling the trim.

Removal was simple, I just removed the screws and carefully broke the seal. I injected a bit of silicone caulk into all the old holes "just in case". I used both RV putty tape and some caulk when I reinstalled the new door with new screws.

I wish I had taken pictures of the procedure. It would make a good "tech tip".

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'll check it out further. Now, what do you do with the old door? Guess it would make a good door for a playhouse for my daughter.
Hayduke

Cheap Screen "Door"

We had a FWC Fleet for many years without the factory screen door. I had a local hardware store make an aluminum framed screen that fit perfectly in the camper's door frame. I added some webbing straps so that it was easy to pull into place from inside the camper. Ithink it cost about $15.00. Not a perfect solution, but it would likely be easier to put in and take out than the netting with Velcro. Just a thought.

Screen Door

I replaced the door on my Grandby last year with a new one with a screen and dead bolt. It took about 45 minutes. Very easy. I ordered the new one from ATC and if I remember it was around $200.00. I offered the old one for free on the forum, and it was gone in a day.

Thanks everyone for the info. I will be leaving tomorrow morning around 4am for Death Valley back country with my daughter. I'll take care of this screen door thing when I get back. If anyone sees me with a beautiful 8 year old little girl around Eureka valley/racetrack/ lippencott/saline valley/Hunter Mountain or Panamint Springs, in a white tacoma w/ FWC, Please say hi.
Hayduke

Back
Top Bottom