screwing into FWC Aluminum siding - mounting bottle opener

gaylon

Hi folks - I want to install a bottle opener on the outside of my camper, near the rear door. I am sure I am overthinking this, but two questions - should i pre-drill the holes for the stainless wood screws and should i put some silicone sealant on the screws?

Admirable goal!
Be sure you hit a stud, the siding won't hold anything.
You could use self-tapping screws, but predrill is probably safer. Then a spooge of your favorite flavor sealant.
Actually, select a sealant that is not a dirt magnet. My Hawk has dirt stains that do not come off due to poor choice of OEM sealant.

Lighthawk said:
Admirable goal!
Be sure you hit a stud, the siding won't hold anything.
You could use self-tapping screws, but predrill is probably safer. Then a spooge of your favorite flavor sealant.
Actually, select a sealant that is not a dirt magnet. My Hawk has dirt stains that do not come off due to poor choice of OEM sealant.
My intention is to mount it low enough that it hits the heavy duty plywood that forms the lower part of the camper. I am not planning on finding a stud, although I guess I could easily enough - just mount it below a step.

Unless you are thinking of the using the floor pack, I through bolted an aluminum storage box on the rear of our FWC using the plywood that supports the bench on the inside of the wall. But the wall studs have thickness, maybe an inch?, so if your screws are long enough to reach the plywood, the sandwich of the siding/stud/paneling can still be deformed unless mounted through a stud. I used the studs next to the door and at the rear corner of the camper. I still think you could use a several #8-10 x 1" fine thread screws directly into the stud only with sealant. If it fails, you can always through bolt.

Gaylon, thought I'd send ou a photo of what might be underneath the siding, before you drill or set a screw for your bottle opener.your frame may be somewhat different, but there should be at least a 1 inch frame tube next to the floor pack. Over time me, screwing into the wood might loosen. Screwing into the aluminum, if not over tightened, would be my recommendation.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1466920290.669897.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1466920290.669897.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Why not mount the bottle opener to a small piece of AL plating and bolt it to the jack mounts/plates on the camper? A much less intrusive technique.

Assuming you don't leave the jacks on when you travel.

PokyBro said:
Gaylon, thought I'd send ou a photo of what might be underneath the siding, before you drill or set a screw for your bottle opener.your frame may be somewhat different, but there should be at least a 1 inch frame tube next to the floor pack. Over time me, screwing into the wood might loosen. Screwing into the aluminum, if not over tightened, would be my recommendation.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466920290.669897.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1466920290.669897.jpg

Hi Pokeybro

What camper model is in the image?

Many thanks

DavidGraves

I drilled the holes hitting an aluminum stud on the top screw - hitting "air" after breaking through the aluminum skin on bottom. Caulked holes with silicon bathtub putty. All the force is on the top screw so have had no problems with it pulling out.

gallery_2684_767_211636.jpg

Davidgraves,
The model was a 1981 Grandby, but was narrowed for later model pickups, and with a new floor pack. I'm sure you've likely seen my thread already, but here's the page.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12116-new-build-1981-grandby-to-become-a-hawk/page-2

I agree with Jim, knowing the what's behind that aluminum siding (or what's not), I would find myself very hesitant to pierce through the siding, leaving a permanent hole through it, especially if you make a mistake.

Mounting to the jack bracket is a great idea!
PB

Or you could simply carry a church key on a lanyard inside the camper...that is not too much effort to crack that brew.. :D

Then you would not have to get up out of your chair under the tree or leave the cooler to open another one....

Phil

This is where I mounted mine several years ago and have had no issues. I just did a "push test" and felt something behind the skin...exactly what I don't know. It also makes a nice garbage bag holder upper.

illuN2v.jpg

I have an older Grandby and mounted mine to the furnace cover which is steel rather than aluminum.

bottle opener.jpg

I sure like the cool factor of this, but there is no way i can overcome my internal dislike of putting holes in nice things; Be that camper shell, boat, etc. Hard enough to make myself for the necessities. For a bottle opener, no way. Ha. I keep it attached to the cooler (or fridge or where ever it is the cool ones are kept). I figure you have to get the bottle anyway and having the opener by the source keeps them together. If the cooler is by the chairs away from the camper, one has to get up and go to the camper to use the opener each time. That being said, I sure want one, even though I can't bring myself to mount one. Ha.

Need to check the FWC external steps on the back of my Hawk....looks like they might pull a cap.

Damn, what happened to the good old days of Church Keys! Oh, that is right, micro-designer beers, which I do appreciate.

Bad enough that I must carry a corkscrew for my wife..... :D She just will not settle for a twist off bottle of wine.

Chadx said:
I sure like the cool factor of this, but there is no way i can overcome my internal dislike of putting holes in nice things; Be that camper shell, boat, etc. Hard enough to make myself for the necessities. For a bottle opener, no way. Ha. I keep it attached to the cooler (or fridge or where ever it is the cool ones are kept). I figure you have to get the bottle anyway and having the opener by the source keeps them together. If the cooler is by the chairs away from the camper, one has to get up and go to the camper to use the opener each time. That being said, I sure want one, even though I can't bring myself to mount one. Ha.
I popped my cherry on drilling into the hawk for my jack and shovel mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_2341.JPG
    IMG_2341.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 133
jardinero said:
If you have them, the factory fold down roof access step things work great for opening beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
I do have them and i couldn't get the bottle to step angle to work right to open a bottle of beer.

Back
Top Bottom