Sealed Battery Box

BillM

I'm getting ready to install a 100w Renogy panel with sunsaver charge controller to run a compressor cooler. I have an Eagle shell and am looking for a sealed battery box big enough to fit a group 27 deep cycle battery to install in the camper that I can vent to the outside to vent any produced gasses. Does anybody have any suggestions?

BillM said:
I'm getting ready to install a 100w Renogy panel with sunsaver charge controller to run a compressor cooler. I have an Eagle shell and am looking for a sealed battery box big enough to fit a group 27 deep cycle battery to install in the camper that I can vent to the outside to vent any produced gasses. Does anybody have any suggestions?
If you install AGM batteries, which are the type FWC installs, you don't need a closed or vented compartment.

+1 on AGM's Lead acid my be cheaper but you do need a sealed area that you can get to for maintenance and they don't do real good on wash board roads.

My understanding is that even AGM batteries can off gas so I'm looking for a sealed battery box that I can vent to the outside:

6.1 Release of Ignitable Gasses
All lead acid batteries, including VRLA batteries, produce hydrogen and oxygen gases during
normal charging. Even though VRLA batteries are designed to recombine these gases
internally, the recombination efficiency is less than 100%. Small amounts of hydrogen and
oxygen are released from the pressure relief valve during charging. Normally, the hydrogen gas
dissipates very rapidly and never reaches a concentration level that is hazardous. However, if
the battery is installed in an enclosure with minimal airflow, the concentration of hydrogen could
build up to a high enough concentration to be of concern. Hydrogen can ignite at
concentrations as low as 4% in air. For this reason, never install a Lifeline® AGM battery in
a sealed or an airtight container.

BillM said:
My understanding is that even AGM batteries can off gas so I'm looking for a sealed battery box that I can vent to the outside...
...For this reason, never install a Lifeline® AGM battery in a sealed or an airtight container.
Seems like one option would be to use a battery box that isn't sealed, isn't airtight. No need to vent to the outside -- hydrogen isn't toxic, and the tiny amount vented by an AGM battery would harmlessly diffuse without reaching LEL.

But that's not what you asked. ;)

Mark,

Yeah, I thought of that but just don't like the idea of venting into the camper, I'll probably just build my own box.

For what it's worth: I have my 2 batteries mounted in the under-couch storage area, and venting is provided by propping open the turnbuckle-access slider about an inch, opening that area to the outside air.
It may seem kinda funky, but it works for me. :)

Mark,

That makes sense to me, since I have a bare bones shell model I need to build an equivalent storage area that is vented to the outside.

I just used a file storage plastic tub (air tight), vented to the outside. Holds two GC-2 6 volt batteries. Could have been ~1/2" higher, but it works OK.

battery box.jpg

arrows show vent. Used 2" dia. soffit vents and a short section of 2" radiator hose.

jim

Still say worrying about venting AGM batteries is much to do about nothing. It isn't an industry concern. In the end it is what one feels comfortable with. so if you want a vented space then that's what you should do. Good Luck.

I believe you have to overcharge the batteries in order to have them vent at all, and I don't think that will happen during normal use. I guess you could attach a charger using shore power with the camper closed up. That said, if it keeps you up at night worrying about it I'd vent the compartment.

Back
Top Bottom