searching for front dinette reviews

SeldomSeen

Advanced Member
Getting ready to order a grandby and like the front dinette concept. Anyone spend a substantial amount of time in theirs that could give a review? The girlfriend REALLY likes the idea of the self contained model, so I'm leaning that way, but looking for the pros/cons of the front seating vs trad dinette or couch. Thanks for the help guys.

We're getting ready to order a Granby also and went back and forth about the standard Grandby pop-up and the self-contained. The idea of having an inside shower and toilet was very appealing. We've decided to go with the standard layout with the couch/bed and forego the self-contained model. For us, the front dinette creates a situation where you need to step over whoever is sleeping there to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. It's for this reason we're also getting the extended cabover slide to orient the bed front to back. This way no one has to climb over the other to get out. The outside shower with a shelter if needed we thought was also a better option for us. We didn't like the idea of running a shower inside the camper especially between the seats of the dinette. The cassette toilet just seemed like a hassle. We arrived at this decision after talking with friends who have used a truck camper for 20 years and this year bought a new one. They are serious off the grid campers. They bought a Passtime hardside with the same layout as the Grandby. The stepping or crawling over people in the middle of the night was a big consideration for them. As far as dinettes, we would very rarely eat inside the camper. We've also decided to put the money saved on not getting the self-contained features and put it into the solar panel, dual batteries, and Waeco fridge. The Waeco fridge gets away from the need to level the truck to make a 3-way fridge work properly. Thinking through how you'll use the camper is really important because some options look cool, but are really just nice to haves.

JHa6av8r came to the exact same conclusions I did.

Great minds think alike......we even have about the same truck. :D

I agree with you and have already ruled out the self contained unit..dont need an inside shower or toilet. Still undecided on the dinette verse the bench seat. Hated the bench seat in the Eagle, just not functional. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Four Wheel to check out the newer floor plans.

Not interested in the self contained model but very interested in the new front dinette option. I asked FWC about the dimensions of the sleeping space for the front dinette vs. the sleeping space for the roll over couch.

Here is the reply on their facebook page...

Quote from FWC - "For the Grandby model the converted bed for the front dinette measures 47" wide x 76" long. Compared to the converted bed for the rollover couch which measures 36" wide x 72" long."

I like that you get even more sleeping space in the front dinette. It would usually be me, wife, our young boy and a dog so I figure the more sleeping space the better. Also, on a hunting or fishing trip with a buddy they would get a litte more room as well. Hopefully FWC will have a front dinette model at the Portland, OR Sportmans show in February.

Looking forward to actually seeing one in person. I have seen many on the road but never had a chance to get inside one.

Bsharp007 - I see in your sig that you have one on order. What configuration did you end up ordering? I bet your excited!

Not interested in the self contained model but very interested in the new front dinette option. I asked FWC about the dimensions of the sleeping space for the front dinette vs. the sleeping space for the roll over couch.

Here is the reply on their facebook page...

Quote from FWC - "For the Grandby model the converted bed for the front dinette measures 47" wide x 76" long. Compared to the converted bed for the rollover couch which measures 36" wide x 72" long."

I like that you get even more sleeping space in the front dinette. It would usually be me, wife, our young boy and a dog so I figure the more sleeping space the better. Also, on a hunting or fishing trip with a buddy they would get a litte more room as well. Hopefully FWC will have a front dinette model at the Portland, OR Sportmans show in February.

Looking forward to actually seeing one in person. I have seen many on the road but never had a chance to get inside one.

Bsharp007 - I see in your sig that you have one on order. What configuration did you end up ordering? I bet your excited!

I ended up going with the fold over couch...after checking out all of FWC's configurations, that's the one that seemed the most comfortable. Both the dinette setups felt a little cramped for my 6'+ frame. I wanted to like the dinette, doesn;t block the side window..with the couch that window is worthless. On another note thought the new silver spur interior to be too dark in person.
Always a good idea to check this stuff out before ordering if you can and it's interesting to tour the factory.

Thanks for the info. Too bad about the front dinette. When I first saw it I thought it was the prefect update to the FWC interior. However, I'm 6'2 so I bet I'll feel cramped in it as well.

When we get closer to actually ordering one of these we'll definitely be taking the tour!

Okay, here's the update. We ordered the Grandby with front dinette but not self-contained at the end of October. After sitting in, laying in the different configurations, the the front dinette layout offered more sleeping space as mentioned earlier. It's nice to have all the cabinets in the rear as you enter. The fridge goes to the center right which should make for a better CG. We also got the Silver Spur option. Hoping to get it before Christmas and head south to the desert for the maiden trip. The only way to decide is see them and get in them. We're excited.

<snip>
We ordered the Grandby with front dinette but not self-contained at the end of October.
<snip>
Hoping to get it before Christmas and head south to the desert for the maiden trip.
<snip>

Congrats on your new camper!

Back
Top Bottom