seeking pop up camper for Tacoma

clikrf8

Hello,
First time poster looking for a pop up camper for a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extended cab. It could be a 4 wheel camper or any other lightweight pop up for exploring backroads of Pacific Northwest. We live north of Seattle but could travel as far as Northern California or Western Montana in the early Spring. Yes, I know they are hard to find but we are patient. Tops we can pay is $7500. We would prefer a turnkey unit or maybe just cosmetic repairs. Canvas must be in good+ shape: no tears, mold, etc. Any advice would really be welcome. Thanks so much. We are photographers so would love the convenience of camping near a shooting location rather than chasing the light from a motel.

Hello,
First time poster looking for a pop up camper for a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extended cab. It could be a 4 wheel camper or any other lightweight pop up for exploring backroads of Pacific Northwest.

I, myself, have an ATC on my Dodge, love it! I would recommend the ATC (all terrain campers) Bobcat. If you can add just a tad more money over your budget you can have a new one from Jay Aronow Camper Sales. I know he has the Bobcat model in stock ready to go, right now. No waiting. The manufacturer is back-ordered until June! Nice thing with new is the canvas is perfect and you get the latest, strongest frame design.

And welcome to WTW!
Gene

I, myself, have an ATC on my Dodge, love it! I would recommend the ATC (all terrain campers) Bobcat. If you can add just a tad more money over your budget you can have a new one from Jay Aronow Camper Sales. I know he has the Bobcat model in stock ready to go, right now. No waiting. The manufacturer is back-ordered until June! Nice thing with new is the canvas is perfect and you get the latest, strongest frame design.

And welcome to WTW!
Gene

Thank-you Gene,
After more research, we have decided to buy a used Four Wheel Camper Eagle model. Arizona is further than we wanted to travel but thanks for the link that lead me to compare and decide finally on the 4wc. Now, we just have to keep plugging away on CL or bug the rv dealers from Portland north or keep checking here and on other sites dedicated to pop up truck campers. And, we really have to stay within budget.

Judy
http://www.clikrf8images.com/

Okay, I really did more comparisons and actually like the spareness and layout of the ATC Bobcat. So, to amend this post, either one used. As others have posted, difficult to locate but with perserverence and probably more that a little luck.... Thank-you.

Hi Gene,
We looked at a 2005 Outfitters Caribou 6.5 on CL just 45 minutes away. Very deluxe ($12,900)but too big and heavy for our Tacoma. Buying a Tundra would leave us in the poorhouse.

I talked to Jeff at ATC this morning and knew this was someone we could deal with. He is sending information so we can decide which options we will want/need. The website doesn't list dry weight with standard equipment but a call to Jeff would answer that plus the weight of addons.

We are considering the furnace, 3 way fridge, portapotty, solar panel, electric water pump, fantastic fan, auxiliary battery system, 100 volt system, 12 volt accessory plug, and mechanical jacks. What do you think? Later we can get an awning or racks. We are photographers so need power for laptop and to charge batteries for camera, laptop, and cellphone. Not to mention hubby's electric razor. We are fairly basic people but it would be nice to have a microwave and music.

Jeff said they were booked into June so we need to make up our mind on options. Any feed back from an owner would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Judy

Welcome to WTW,

I am running a fully loaded Bobcat (minus the fridge)on a 2001 Tacoma. I love it and the guys at ATC are the best! It was necessary to do some suspension mods in order to be able to travel in the Backcountry with confidence that nothing would break. If you are planning on light duty use you could probably get away with and add a leaf and airbags or timbrens depending on what you prefer. Take a look through my posts and you can see what mods I did and how I use my truck.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions,

Cort

Hi Gene,
We looked at a 2005 Outfitters Caribou 6.5 on CL just 45 minutes away. Very deluxe ($12,900)but too big and heavy for our Tacoma. Buying a Tundra would leave us in the poorhouse.

I talked to Jeff at ATC this morning and knew this was someone we could deal with. He is sending information so we can decide which options we will want/need. The website doesn't list dry weight with standard equipment but a call to Jeff would answer that plus the weight of addons.

We are considering the furnace, 3 way fridge, portapotty, solar panel, electric water pump, fantastic fan, auxiliary battery system, 100 volt system, 12 volt accessory plug, and mechanical jacks. What do you think? Later we can get an awning or racks. We are photographers so need power for laptop and to charge batteries for camera, laptop, and cellphone. Not to mention hubby's electric razor. We are fairly basic people but it would be nice to have a microwave and music.

Jeff said they were booked into June so we need to make up our mind on options. Any feed back from an owner would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Judy

Judy, I sent you a personal message. You'll get lots of great advice here. I, myself am a minimalist. I have plenty of electrical reserve though much of it through careful conservation such as LED lighting, Engel fridge and Wave3 heater rather than fan forced heat.

Many people use the space where the fridge would go in the camper for storage and then place their Engel in the extra cab or crew cab area of their truck. This keeps weight better centered and allows you precious storage in the camper.
Check your messages.
Gene

Judy,

BTW, a Tundra would still have all the issues of requiring airbags, springs, bars and brakes. A 3/4 will require no mods. If you did decide to upgrade your truck go with a 3/4 ton. Diesel will get you better mileage than a gas 1/2 ton in most cases (especially Dodge). As with many others truck owners, it took me years to leave the "Toyota Fold", now that I have, I would never go back. I like to "go" when I need to go and especially, I like to "stop" when I need to stop.

Your photos are wonderful! I spent a fair amount of time with the Tarahumara. Did you make it down to Batopilas?

I recommend others on this board take a look at Judys photos: http://www.clikrf8images.com/Scenics

Gene

Thanks again,
Judy

Ditch the razor! If weight is an issue forget the furnace and just get a propane tank and add a Wave 3. Solar Blvd had been having some good prices on solar panels, and the Wave 3 won't draw any of your 12v power, a furnace can put a dent in it. I'd forget the microwave, been there done that and just sold the micro. Takes way too much juice and there are alternate ways to heat food. I'd suggest forgetting the 3 way fridge and just going with an Engel and maybe a 2nd battery to keep it all happy. Trouble and worry free, no switching and if you have solar and a decent battery setup powering it won't be an issue. As for porta potty carefully evaluate how much you will use it (I mean where will you be camping :D I have what I think is called the porta loo, goes up and down very fast and is a potti room or a shower room. That and a portable toilet seat and poo powder bags and you are good "to go". Approved by the NPS for backcountry use, neat and simple.

You might check out Kodachrome's write up of his Bobcat when he bought it and then after 18 months of living in it (pinned in the ATC forum). Everyone has their own opinion so you have to sort out what you want. I like the 3 way fridge and furnace and auxiliary battery set up in my Bobcat, but that's me, not you. I put in a vote for the fantastic fan as a must have. I also like the dinette in the Bobcat as with just two of us it offers a convenient interior work space, dining area, and place to set the laptop. Microwaves are convenient but they take up space and add weight. If you are out in the boonies, will you use it? Generally, what you plan sounds good to me as you can start there and then modify as necessary.

As a last thought, I have found the Pett toilet to be easy to live with. It folds up compactly, is easy to set up, and is easy to service (like Barko said, seal up the bag and drop it off at a garbage stop). You will learn that the Bobcat/Eagle requires you to plan space usage. Porta Potties don't fold.

Back
Top Bottom